February 5, 2006
Planned Outrage: Cartoon Riots Hit Lebanon (Video)Topics: Understanding Islam
CNN Video: Download
Lebanon -- Thousands of Muslims rampaged Sunday in Beirut, setting fire to the Danish Embassy, burning Danish flags and lobbing stones at a Maronite Catholic church as violent protests over caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad spread from neighboring Syria. - FoxNews
While Muslim clerics reportedly denounced the violence, the protests are certainly organized:
In Beirut, protesters came by the busloads to rally outside the Danish Embassy, where they chanted, "There is no god but God, and Muhammad is the messenger of God!" Some 2,000 troops and riot police were deployedCounterterrorism Blog previously reported that a delegation of Danish imams, led by Ahmed Abdel Rahman Abu Laban, distributed fake anti-Muslim cartoons and attributed them to the Jyllands-Posten to stir up Islamist rage (HT: Michelle Malkin):
In the booklet it presented during its tour of the Middle East, the delegation included other cartoons of Mohammed that were highly offensive, including one where the Prophet has a pig face. But these additional pictures were NOT published by the newspaper, but were completely fabricated by the delegation and inserted in the booklet (which has been obtained and made available to me by Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet).An english translation of the letter has been published by the CounterTerrorismBlog and provides irrefutable proof of the delegation's intent to create animosity (Download file).
Gateway Pundit reports that Imam Ahmad Abu Laban not only faked obscene cartoons on his trip to the Middle East, but has a history of supporting terrorism, violence and murder:
- Entertained the "Blind Sheikh" behind the first World Trade Center attacks
- Praised Osama Bin Laden after 9-11 Attacks
- Preached he "Shed no tears" after 9-11 Attacks
- Accused of giving Political support to Osama bin Laden's network
- Accused of giving Financial support to Osama bin Laden's network
- Joined with 225 Islamic Radicals to form Global Jihadist Group in 2003
- Said that Theo van Gogh - "Had it coming!"
- Called on his flock to Give Their Lives to Global Jihad for Palestinians
- Met with Sheikh Qaradawi in Saudi Arabia who has legalised the murder of American soldiers in Iraq
This was indeed a campaign, planned by important members of the Islamic world's power structure, intended to force Denmark to comply with Sharia requirements.While the evidence is compelling that the riots were catalyzed using misinformation, it should also be apparent that the opportunists exploited an entrenched belief system which led its proponents to respond in a predictably violent manner.
Posted by tim at February 5, 2006 4:52 PM
Articles Related to Understanding Islam:
- Planned Outrage: Cartoon Riots Hit Lebanon (Video) - Feb 05, 2006