« Daniel Pipes: 'Two Germans vs. Islamism' | Main | Turkey diagnoses human bird flu »

January 4, 2006

HarryTho 1/04 Natalee Holloway Commentary

Topics: Natalee Holloway

My apologies for tonight's late and impromptu editorial. I was delayed at a medical appointment today, for much longer than I had anticipated. This evening, I will just introduce a link to a Natalee Holloway update from Aruba posted by one our readers.

Readers should keep in mind that this link represents the Aruban version of the ongoings in the investigation into the disappearance of Natalee Holloway. The link contains, in question & answer form, sections: an Introduction, Aruban Police Actions, Off-island Investigative Resources, Prosecutor's Office and The Government of the Island of Aruba.

Americans should note the diplomatic and cordial approach to the investigation being presented in the narrative. The Arubans are cordial and gentile people. This is the manner in which they express themselves. I, on the hand, do not represent the Arubans, nor the Americans, and certainly not the Alabamans. Cordiality often eludes me. Accordingly, a word to wise for our errant posters, you will not find comfort and sanctuary in my comment sections, closely commensurate to that anticipated from the Arubans. Please do not confuse me with an appropriate, cordial and pleasing Aruban. I am not. If you have heard the story about the misfortunes of wresting with a pig, then you know who quivers with anticipation for you in the sty.

On Boycotts being a lost cause.

Boycotts are, more than anything else, generally expressions of frustration by U.S. presidents. They are more admissions that our ability to effect real or rapid changes in a particular area or country is far less than what we'd planned. Rarely, if ever, do they accomplish their publicly stated goal. Who can forget the spectacularly pointless boycott of the 1980 Summer Olympics ordered by then-President Jimmy Carter to protest the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan? The boycott of Iraq under Saddam Hussein in the years leading up to the 2003 invasion was another notable failure.

Perhaps even less comprehensible than Riley's call for the good people of Alabama to refrain from visiting Aruba, however, is the fact that he talked two other governors -- our own Gov. Sonny Perdue and Arkansas' Mike Huckabee -- into joining the rather pointless exercise. Other than simply trying to lend a supportive hand to a friend facing a tough re-election battle (Riley is being opposed in the GOP primary by former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore), expending political capital on such a joust at a windmill makes no sense at all.

One hopes that those governors calling for a tourist boycott of a tiny Caribbean island will, in 2006, turn their attention inward, to solve problems over which they have at least some chance of succeeding -- such as education, crime and high taxes.

Rita Crosby kept with the West Virginia miners' story tonight. Greta covered the miners, as well, but promised some "secret documents" release by Beth Twitty.

Greta's interview of Beth Twitty consists of notes from her diary which Beth contends are the facts in the case. Quire frankly, Beth's interpretations of the writings in her diary are misleading as the rest of the Twitty-Holloway camp stories. Based upon the detail of translation, she claims "red flags." Succinctly, if you write a lot you are telling the truth; however, if you write in brief, you are lying. Greta, a former lawyer, seems to subscribe to this novel conclusion.

Beth concluded that Joran runs his household. And, her diary indicates Joran could drink 30 beers, before he got drunk. She implicates, via the writings in her diary, Paulus in coaching the suspects into getting their story straight. Beth claims that they have sexual assault charges on Joran right now, and concludes that Karin Janssen controlled the investigation and suppressed evidence. Beth contends that the Aruban authorities have a confession from Joran that Deepak raped and killed Natalee. Most of these allegation emanate from Beth's belief that Karin Janssen has statements that Beth was not allowed to see (read in English). In a sense, Beth contends that Karin Janssen suppressed information about confessions of guilt by the suspects.

Comment: Does this bizarre rendition of the Beth Diaries warrant comment at all?

I consider any release by Beth Twitty as nonsense or outright misrepresentations.

Aloha for now - as usual, I'll be meeting some of you readers in the comments.

Posted for HarryTho

Posted by Richard at January 4, 2006 10:41 PM

Well Harry I refuse to watch Greta, so could you please let us know, what was "stated" in those soooper doooper secret documents that beth stole, no wait, that beth actually just read, no wait, that beth took notes after them being read to her? Its all really confusing, you see she has had 3 different "stories" about these "documents".

Posted by: Donna at January 4, 2006 10:59 PM

If Beth Bilived that depaak killed, raped& murder Nat why did SHE say she had a private jet waiting for 3 days to take nat home from a crack house in aruba that some poor people paid oveer 20,000 just to sit there .

Posted by: rib at January 4, 2006 11:07 PM

Dear Donna:

Here my rundown on the Greta expose of the Beth Twitty Diaries:

Greta's interview of Beth Twitty consisted of notes from her diary which Beth contends are the facts in the case. Quire frankly, Beth's interpretations of the writings in her diary are misleading as the rest of the Twitty-Holloway camp stories. Based upon the detail of translation, she claims "red flags." Succinctly, if you write a lot you are telling the truth; however, if you write in brief, you are lying. Greta, a former lawyer, seems to subscribe to this novel conclusion.

Beth concluded that Joran runs his household. And, her diary indicates Joran could drink 30 beers, before he got drunk. She implicates, via the writings in her diary, Paulus in coaching the suspects into getting their story straight. Beth claims that they have sexual assault charges on Joran right now. Beth concludes that Karin Janssen controlled the investigation and suppressed evidence. Beth contends that the Aruban authorities have a confession from Joran that Deepak raped and killed Natalee. Most of these allegation emanate from Beth's belief that Karin Janssen has statements that Beth was not allowed to see (read in English). In a sense, Beth contends that Karin Janssen suppressed information about confessions of guilt by the suspects.

With Aloha,

Harry

Posted by: harry at January 4, 2006 11:08 PM

Hi Harry,
Thank you for posting tonight the information was very informative. It's interesting to see just how much has been done on this case by the Arubans. It is also interesting to note that, per attorney Barr, not everyone agrees with this "boycott".
I'm sorry to hear you were waylaid at a medical appointment. One of my pet peeves is respect for another person's time. Sadly, physicians are generally guilty of complete disregard for their patient's time. Hope all is well though, we all care about you.
"In a sense, Beth contends that Karin Janssen suppressed information about confessions of guilt by the suspects." Karin Janssen was named "Woman of the Year". Doesn't Mrs. Twitty realize that this honor would not have been bestowed if anyone for one minute suspected the kind of trechery which she (Mrs. Twitty) is alleging.
I was thinking about this case today. There have been thousands of hours of bandwidth written about it and reams of paper and yet we are left with precious little information in the end. It is really amazing.

Posted by: Little Bo Peep at January 4, 2006 11:28 PM

so in other words, it was the same...can I say this on your blog?

B---S--T? (sorry Donna - edited by profanity police!)

If not, I apologize.

Posted by: Donna at January 4, 2006 11:30 PM

Little Bo Peep..

And don't forget the millions in donations collected also!

Posted by: Donna at January 4, 2006 11:35 PM

Can anyone ever recall, when ONE city, in the USA ever paid out 40% of their budget, looking for a missing person? Ever?

Posted by: Donna at January 4, 2006 11:42 PM

One reason I have been so interested in this case is the craziness of it all. Why from the beginning was the press was all over this case, and continued to cover it they way they have for 6 1/2 months? Why do they give air time to Beth's nonsense when it is so obvious that it is just Beth's speculations, as well as slander, rather than any real facts?

Remember when Beth came back to US once and talked with a young female who told her that she had been at C&Cs and Joran has tried to pick her up? He apparently was trying to be a cool stud, not unlike thousands of other hormone driven teen males who go to places like this with a sole goal of picking up a good looking female. Then Beth went on TV and claimed that she had information from talking to this girl that was HUGE. I kept waiting for the information that was huge. Turned out - - -Nothing! Joran just tied to pickup a girl. And I thought, soooooo. At that point we were apparently supposed to think this was deviant behavior unique to him. The press just keeps covering this type thing like it is something worth reporting and, in this case, no one pointed out to her that this is typical young male behavior.

I keep coming back to - what is it about this case that gets all this press coverage over bogus information and now these governors wanting a boycott? Is somebody being blackmailed? What??? And why is the FBI standing down?

Posted by: Shonane at January 4, 2006 11:46 PM

I remember when Laci Peterson was missing, and at some point, the Rocha's got an attorney, Adam Stewart to speak out in their behalf. They stopped doing interviews.

Posted by: Donna at January 4, 2006 11:51 PM

SNIP: Maybe for Beth, to keep any respectibility in any of this, she needs to hire some attorney that will keep the cable news programs up to date, but she definately needs to get herself off tv. She is turning alot of followers into foes.

Posted by: Donna at January 4, 2006 11:51 PM

Donna: I think it is too late for Beth to chart a new course in order to retain any respectability, for many of us. I no longer believe anything that comes out of the woman's mouth; and I am not alone in this opinion of her.

Posted by: Max at January 5, 2006 12:22 AM

Dear Donna:

Beth's current lawyer, John Q. Kelly, would be an excellent selection to represent the Twitty-Holloway family to the media. The media respects John.

With Aloha,

Harry

Posted by: harry at January 5, 2006 12:51 AM

The reason we can't get over this is because alot of us feel"There but for the grace of God, go I"
can you understand that. I don't know what is wrong with any of you people... If you can't stand the woman, move on. Why even post anything? Nothing else to do in your life but to hate and disgrace a griving MOTHER?????Does anyone on this forum have any empathy....Oh, I know.. if it was your child missing you would just say OH WELL... Let me be perfect in how I come across. Get real... In fact, none of us know how we would react.So just thank God it wasnt you or your child that went missing on such a small Island.

Posted by: Vicki at January 5, 2006 6:56 AM

Vicki - Please get off the "Grieving Mother" script. It is boring!!! I have not seen this mother grieve since her daughter went missing.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. How would you feel if someone called your son or daughter a murderer, raptist, drug dealer, etc. with NO PROOF what so ever. But go on TV night, after night, after night claiming this. How would you react?? Feel Good?

Posted by: Lisa11011 at January 5, 2006 8:10 AM

I agree with Lisa, not at any point in time have I seen Beth grieve! She never even showed emotion in the early days, not even fear or wonder or doubt she has only ever showed hate and anger - early on was she angry at Natalee? And she has been screaming all those acusations at K2J - totally unfounded - all of this evidence might be in her journal, random mindless sketchy fantasy! She really has nothing but her rants and spews - and she in no way wants to try to heal - she will go through the rest of her life hateful and miserable - perhaps she has always been that way!

Posted by: Jan at January 5, 2006 11:07 AM

As an Aruban we always wonder why did Beth jump in the a private jet right after the first questions were asked in her last visit to the island. I was watching some video tapes of some local friends and I saw in the intervieuw that Beth gave at her arrival that she came to Aruba to collect the latest information and also to delivered a letter to the G.A. office. She stated that she wanted to talk with the ones in charge of the investigation and also she denied to have called and will call for a boycott. She met with some local tourist representatives and refused to sign a type of goodwill agreement. We felt that Beth was welcomed and deserve to be treated well. She was called by the investigators team on a early morning. I know that because I was supposed to have an intervieuw with Beth and Mrs. Lejuez who is the lawyer of Beth. They rescheduled the appointment. Beth and her lawyer went to the Bubali police station were she met with some local police and one or more members of the Dutch Team and the FBI agent. Beth was questions regarding the way she was collecting funds in the US and before that in Aruba. So far I know she did not answer the question and left the police station and went straight to the airport. 48 hours after her departure she requested the governor of Alabama to call for a travel boycott against Aruba. Who of you can tell me why a "grieving mother" would do that. Logical behaviour of a grieving mother is to stick with the police in order to find the suspects. Beth did not stick with the investigators. It is clearle that she came to Aruba to fight the investigators and to cause as much damage as she can to the investigation and the case. why? I once lost a german sheperd and I remembered that I was trying to be as nice as posible to everybody so I can get help to find my dog. Wawww, Beth is doing the opposite! She is fighting everybody that can help her find her daughter and being nice to the ones that can give or donate some dollars. My question is....Is that the way american mothers behave when they are grieving????

Posted by: Albert at January 5, 2006 12:24 PM

Still the whereabouts of the girl is unknown. Fuss and fume as you like, where is Natalee? Those who loved her do care. Give them a break. And, after you get through compalining, fussing, and condemning, where is Natalee?

Posted by: Philip at January 5, 2006 12:28 PM

Monsieur Harry,
Well, It is the first time that I see that white bind that Beth has, maybe she transcribes at night or makes a resume of the events of the day.
What I am surprised is that is the same story with RAPE, MURDER, and BURRIED. I wonder who was driving in the meanwhile Deepak was raping Natalee. Because according to Beth this rape happened in the car.
One thing Natalee was going out of in out of conscience, If she was in that state of mind I believe she was disoriented, Either she had a very fast recovery time, because she got off the car and wanted to see the sharks?? Walking???; Then I missed the part. How Natalee knew that Joran was taking to her to the HI? She asked Joran to put her down and to stay with her.
Mrs. Janssen is hiding documents; well I believe that declarations are confidential. I think she was lucky to get to see some documents.
Antoinette

Posted by: antoinette at January 5, 2006 12:53 PM

Lisa and Jan, are you grief experts? I am not but do know there is no right or wrong way to grieve nor is there one single way in which a person grieves. I would imagine Beth's journal writings have been an outlet for her to deal with her grief and now she is getting blasted for what she writes there! Unbelievable. Vicki, sadly, many of the posters to this sight just do not like Beth (and that is putting it mildly!) We are all entitled to our opinions but many here can't seem to express theirs without attacking Beth.

Posted by: jewels flem at January 5, 2006 1:00 PM

I am a funeral Director for over 25 years! people do grives in many ways but what ever the reason for beth's STORIES what about the Greta's and the rest what is the reson they allow this to go on they make beth look more like a nut. THEY know what is going on but they don't care about anybody

Posted by: rib at January 5, 2006 1:56 PM

To Vicki & jewels fiem:

If Dear Beth needs to read from her diary in order to express her grief, then for the benefit of America and all those who still watch Fox News, maybe she could do it in solitude. I understand that she has a wonderful home in the Kingdom of Mountain Brook. Maybe she should recluse herself there and grieve in a true Christian spirit.

Reading from a fantasy diary on prime time to an international audience impresses me that Dear Beth is in need of a medical examination more than any other woman in America.

You have my prognosis.

With Aloha,

Harry

Posted by: harry at January 5, 2006 2:00 PM

Jewels Flem - I was not attacking BT BUT defending Aruba for the ATTACKS from BT, you and your Kool-aide drinkers. I know you have never been to Aruba, so you should you only believe what TV is telling you. Right now what SELLS??? That is what you are hearing, Not the Truth BUT what SELLS!!

Please answer Albert's questions as to why she RAN off the island once being questioned about the money she is collecting on her "PRIVATE JET"!!! Please answer this question, Why has Jug been out of the picture ever since being question about his relationship with his Step Daughter in Aruba!!??

I did NOT start attacks, You and your clan did. I am only defending and will continue until the MB kids, chaperones and other adults on trip START TALKING so we can finally FIND NH!!!

If you can not take it, don't dish it out!!!

Posted by: Lisa11011 at January 5, 2006 2:09 PM

Dear Albert:

You have a green light here to express yourself and the view of the Aruban people as you desire.

Thank you for your enlightening and substantive post.

With appreciation,

Harry

Posted by: harry at January 5, 2006 2:18 PM

A skull was found off the coast of Fl. Has anyone read anything about that. After dental records are tested we will know if it's NH. A very small possibility but you never know.

Posted by: Shivas at January 5, 2006 2:23 PM

BETH goes into a meeting with the people that she said are not giving her information.
They show her Jordon stories .She goes off and writes down what they said.
Then she does a press conference and tells everyone! How does this help the investigation? Remember she has been doing this kind of stuff from day one.
I was in Aruba in June and have friend who are Aruban. I have seen Beth on TV. Many times and she KNEW what they were reporting was NOT TRUE! BUT she only shook her head and said “OH APPSOLUTLY Greta” or whoever, that is” HUGE”! OH YES RITA!! She said Natalie thought she got in a cab. She knew her friends saw her with J2K in the car and Natalie said she was fine. Beth said J2K & friends had rapped many young girl both Aruba and American and she had proof, were is it and were are the questions from the Press. I can go on & on this has nothing to do with my opinion these are just facts. Point of information about 50 Yards from were Jordan said he left Natalie there is a dock with boats and I saw a lot of fishy people hanging out there one of them wanted a deposit from me for a fishing boat in advance without me seeing the boat. It would take about 30 second to get someone on one of the boats and away from Aruba .Also I don’t think most of the people who hang out there have soclarships,come from good family and have NO criminal record like J2k!!! Remember Natalie friends said she wanted them to “MAKE SURE JORDEN WENT TO SUNDAY!!!!

Posted by: rib at January 5, 2006 3:12 PM

THAT JORDAN WENT TO C& C ON SUNDAY1

Posted by: rib at January 5, 2006 3:33 PM

Rib,
So, in a drug induced state, going in and out of conscience, left alone on a beach, with-in 30 seconds one could be abducted and taken off the island by a boat. Make since to me.

Posted by: Shivas at January 5, 2006 4:21 PM

Shivas she also had on a mini skirt !

Posted by: rib at January 5, 2006 4:26 PM

If you can not take it, don't dish it out!!!

Posted by: Lisa11011 at January 5, 2006 02:09 PM

Yes, I would like answers to these questions too, but Beth seems to sidestep them very adroitly whenever she is interviewed. I have a lot of empathy for Beth as a parent, but I don't agree with the way she has handled herself over this whole thing and I really think it is backfiring at this time.

Does anyone have any idea where Jug is?? He is certainly flying underneath the radar at this time.

Thanks Harry for a great post. Moey

Posted by: moey at January 5, 2006 4:35 PM

I would like to thank Harry for his trust in comments.
On several occasions I did launch some questions, however till the day of today I didn't receive any answers. Some negative comments and others that is just giving their opinions for what they heard on t.v. I do watch cartoon network everything and interact with my son of 7 after each episode in order to learn and teach how to give opinion. He's doing great and I always told hin to bear in mind that he has been watching t.v. Real life is different. I spoke with common people on the island every single time and so does our media's. One of my collegue ones intervieuw the uncle of Natalee and I learned that he also is a kind of confuse. In Aruba we experienced what Beth was saying in our local papers and how she could change her opinion once she is on US t.v. Coming back to the uncle of Natalee, who is the brother of Beth. He stated once that her sister needs sompasion due to her grieving period. He also hammered on the first question ask to Dave Holloway by one of our detective. The question was very plane and simple.."Are you rich and do you have a lot of money?". Why do a detective ask this at a early stage of an investigation of a missing person? Simple...he wanted to explore if there is a kidnapping involve and that Dave might know the kidnappers. Now comes a very curious theory....What happens if the Twitties and Dave knows the kidnappers...Do you think they might have a reason to confuse the scenario in order to fullfill with certain demands of the kidnappers? I remmeber Jug bluffing that he's a military equipment sales agent when he first arrived in Aruba. He was giving the impression that he has potential to do a lot of things due to his governmental connections. Think this...What happens if Jug did a deal back in the US with certain things that is not allowed for your US government, and that for one or antoher reason couldn't fullfill this agreement? His partners knows that Natalee was coming on vacation and took the very right moment to kidnapped her. One of the chapparones stated that they (all the students) was being followed by some strangers. If Natalee is not being kidnapped, why in the world did Beth issue a poster in two different languages (english and spanish) saying "KIDNAPPED"? This happens in the first week of Natalee disapearance. I remmeber that when she was ask why she realise the poster she answered that the three boys kidnapped, raped and murdered her daughter. Now let's be serious beth, what is it know Kidnapped, raped or murdered? If she was murdered why did she still had a half million dollar later on increase to one point five milion dollars reward for the return of Natalee? In Aruba I saw different posters. The very first one was the most curious..the one that stated Nathalee please call, we can talk....FBI was here, dutch experts was here, many local detectives was involved, and the only thing I noticed that instead of Beth being on the side of the investigators she was constantly attacking them. Why would a grieving mother do that? Did Beth really focus if Natalee was kidnapped? The answer is NO...She was the one that requested the Equusearch to come in with cadaver dogs. Now sunny boy, if my son is bing kidnapped, why would I bring in cadaver dogs???? I hope you can picture what I am trying to bring forward. In Aruba and in the US Beth was causing more and more confussion then helping solving the case. If Natalee is being kidnapped, then I strongly believe that Beth might and must know the kidnappers. If Natalee is kidnapped then Jug and Beth must come forward and explain what is it exactly that went wrong back in the US that cause this kidnapping. Nobody in Aruba knows who Natalee was, until the day that Jug and Beth arrived in the private jet. Nobody even know before that Natalee was coming from a defective family till the day that Dave Holloway came to Aruba. That was the day that we learned that Natalee had two pairs of parents. So resuming the kidnapping scenario.....If Natalee is being held against her will, then Jug and Beth must come forward and explain in details that the funds that they are collecting right know is going over several millions and they must explain the real type of business they are in that could have caused the kidnapping of Natalee. Natalee is NOT dead. So far NO single evidence of that, so if your not death you must be alive...the question is where!
I am from Aruba and my name is Albert, thanks for reading.

Posted by: Albert at January 5, 2006 5:30 PM

What has continued to bother me from day one is that not one journalist who interviews Beth acutally follows up their question by asking for anything resembling proof. Nothing. Then when Beth gets on a soapbox, Greta usually just repeats what Beth says, never questioning it. Or worst, Rita will follow up with an "absolutely". How about real questions. Had they asked them early on, instead of being used as a place for Beth to spread rumors, this case could have been gone a long time ago.

Posted by: JimmyJon at January 5, 2006 5:40 PM

Dear Jimmy!
That same thing happens in Aruba. many US media was on the island and none of them ever did a single question to Beth, Jug or Dave. There was one day that many relatives of Natalee was doing their own search. The CNN cameraman was instructed to stick with Beth and her sister. When a reporter of NBC approach Beth for a intervieuw, he almost get himself in problem because the CNN boy became hysterical and threaten the poor NBC reporter. The circuss was fantastic. American reporters fighting each other like mules. Beth decided that only CNN and FOX could have the first choice, anybody else could wait. I knew a guy named Tony, he's a cameraman a he always called me for informations. I still have good contacts with all the investigators and even the P.P. office. whenever we call they answer and they do give limited informations. That the usual way in Aruba. T.V., radio's and newspapers damage the investigations easier then what you can imagine. The fact is that Beth never gave no one a chance to ask questions. Press conferences were held at the Holiday Inn press centers and she walks in do some statements and walked out.

Posted by: Albert at January 5, 2006 5:53 PM

Harry, I always wait with baited breath at your response if I dare utter a word on hyscience. You rarely fail me! Thank you. I also want to thank you for adding the word "kingdom" to your description of Mountain Brook, AL. Mountain Brook is so beautiful with its rolling hills, many tree lined streets and the quaint shopping village. It truly is like a little kingdom. Good choice of words!

Posted by: jewels at January 5, 2006 7:13 PM

For those of you that always ask "what would YOU do if it was YOUR daughter".....

I am going to turn the tides on you..and ask you to answer this questionaire I have made up:

You've decided to pay for an all inclusive trip for your daughter, as a graduation present. Before your young adult goes on this trip, you as a parent must sign a waiver, allowing your underage in the USA, to drink, and gamble.

A.) Would you STILL allow YOUR young adult to go, would you as a PARENT sign such a waiver?
B.) Would let them go, however REFUSE to sign that waiver allowing them to get a wristband, to allow them to drink , as much as they want. But they can go and enjoy the sun in the fun anyways.

Your young adult is down in that island paradise for 5 days. Would you?
A.) Make any type of phone call to their cell phone, asking if they are having fun? Or xpect at least ONE phone call from them, letting you know they are fine? Tell them you miss them? Want to check to make sure they are ok?
B.) Would worry ONLY if they choose to call you?

Would you as a Parent, of a young adult going on a trip, with other students, chaperones. Tell the chaperone:
A.) Do not hover over my young adult child, and give that child all the space he/she wants.
B.)Make it known to the chaperones, that this child is precious, and that YOU are giving them the responsibility to make sure YOUR child remains safe, while in their "care".

After attending many meetings, before the trip, you find out, that there will be NO curfews, no restrictions, no bed checks, and that YOUR young adult, will be free to move around the island, drink, gamble, and do anything he/she pleases...w/o any type of OLDER adult supervision, that the only responsibilities of the chaperones, would be to handle the passports, and any medical emergencies may come up.

A.) Do you still let your young adult go on such a trip?
B.) Do you then make a decision, that this might not be the best thing, and offer another solution to the young adult, such as maybe the gift of money, instead of paying for such a trip?

When upon hearing, that your young adult hasn't made it to her flight home, do you automatically think..
A.) He/She has been kidnapped?
B.) Was in an accident?
C.)Has run away?
D.) Might of over slept and didn't make it in time for the flight?

Hours go by, and still the chaperone doesn't see or hear from your young adult, do you..
A.) Call all the hospitals in the area, to see if perhaps your young adult child was in the hospital?
B.) Contact the police department, to immediately get a report on file that your daughter is "missing", and give them FULL identification of your child.
C.) Arrange for a private jet,have flyers already made up that says, CALL ME, I love you, we can work anything out? Grab 7 of your closest friends, and fly to the Island?

When once down on the island. Would your first movements be..
A.) Making sure you establish your childs reputation?
B.) Make contact with the local authorities
C.) Go to any hospitals in that area, to see, perhaps if YOUR child is there?
D.) Start YOUR own "family" investigation, and NOT telling the local authorities you are even on the island, not until YOU have already ESTABLISHED who is responsible, for your daughters disppearance.

You already have certain information of your young adult child, being LAST seen in the company of 3 others, do you:
A.) go to the police with any and all information that YOU already collected, and let them take over investigating/interrogating them.
B.) YOU go to their house, and get in their faces, with demands. Letting them know IMMEDIATELY they will be a suspect, and give them enough time to get a "story" straight?

Upon hearing that your young adult, participated in risky behavior, by drinking and leaving with 3 others...is it more important to you..
A.) That the truth of their actions comes out, to possibly make sure that ALL and EVERY angle is looked at by the authorities?
B.) It's more important to you that the reputation of your son/daughter, remain intact?

When you contact the media, to request help getting the information of your missing adult out,do you...
A.) Contact the local media, and surrounding countries, trying to get the word out on your missing child. Possibly someone seen him/her on one of the other islands, with someone else.
B.) Contact the media in YOUR own country.

The island, opens their heart to you, they do everything they can to help you, in finding your daughter. Giving you free hotel rooms, feeding you, giving you free car rentals, area businesses contribute to the fund to find your daughter...
A.)Do you come to your home country, and not even THANK those people who were wonderful to you?
B.) Call for a boycott so that those same people might lose their businesses, livlihood, homes, etc., because YOU have no answers that you demand only 3 months after your young adult is missing.

After knowing that a suspect that YOU feelis GUILTY, and was let out of jail, do you...
A.) Let the authorities keep an trail on him see if he does or says anything to someone else..
B.) Go confront him at his job, and demand he talks WITH you, all the while you are taping the segment for tv.

When upon finding out that a Polygraph expert is on the island, and he had a chance to tape one of the suspects, do you then...

A.) Demand that tape/video be turned over to the local proper authoirities, to either be used as a investigation tool, or that they could possibly use that as evidence, to have the suspect re-detained, and possibly interrogated more.
B.) Sit on that information, along with a talk show host, and wait so that you can use it to be on his show?

This is ONLY part 1. I have things to take care of...but I'll be back to continue this questionaire later....

Posted by: Donna at January 5, 2006 8:35 PM

Donna, your questionnaire is very helpful to prompt thinking about this systematically. Be sure and copy it and share it in another site or two since it will get moved over to archives. Look forward to reading your Part 2.

Revealing from the beginning questions - - what would a parent think upon first hearing that their young adult did not show up on day of departure of a party trip?

I know my first reaction would be to think/hope my young adult son got drunk and passed out somewhere and was hung over, next thinking that he may have been hurt, so I definitely would have made my first calls to the hospital. Then waiting a little longer, and if a no show, to call local authorities. There are fears, however, of calling local authorities for one reason - suspected drug use or drug possession which could result in arrest if found. What I never would have guessed (not being a wealthy person) would be kidnapping, or in the case of my son, I cannot imagine him running away.

Posted by: shonane at January 5, 2006 10:06 PM

Donna, Just great.
I would go to Hospital before doing Anything. Police in other country will be my last ressource.
This is so odd the friends were also ready.
About the flyers, I would never think to make them in the last 5 first days.

Posted by: antoinette at January 5, 2006 11:13 PM

Dear jewels:

Why don't you post some pictures of the Kingdom of Mountain Brook for us. Reads like a lovely place!

With Aloha,

Harry

Posted by: harry at January 6, 2006 12:25 AM

HOW COME THE PRESS DOES NOT SHOW NATALIE'S HOMES? IN ANY OTHER CASE YOU ALWAYS SEE WERE THEY LIVED!!!

Posted by: rib at January 6, 2006 8:23 AM

Donna
Wasnt Natalee 18? So she was an adult, not in need of a parent to sign a waiver saying she could drink. The legal age to drink and gamble is 18 in Aruba.

Posted by: Moggy at January 6, 2006 11:30 AM

Moggy, per Alabaman state law age of general maturity is 19.

Posted by: George at January 6, 2006 1:39 PM