Latest Entry: American Pravda and New York's Sixth Crime Family     Latest Comments: Talk Back Here

« Earthquake toll on tomorrow's adults | Main | Another case of human bird flu in Thailand »

October 31, 2005

Electrity and water do not mix at baptisms

Topics: Faith

I could not resist posting this story. The man, a 33 year old with a wife and three children attempted to adjust a microphone while he was standing in water. He was preparing for the baptism of a woman within the congregation. As a result of the electrical shock that he received he was pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital.

This is a cautionary tale since it's only logical that touching electricals while standing in water is to say the least, a deadly practice.

I am reminded of the one and only time that I was caught up in a flood situation back in 1978. The region was the Richmond-Windsor district of NSW Australia. At the time I lived in South Windsor and was on safe ground. We didn't have to evacuate, but many of my neighbours in the surrounding area had to leave their homes. During the storms and the floods that had followed there had been reports of several deaths. One of the stories involved that of a 14 year old boy who had been using his small boat to rescue people. His boat got tangled in electricity wires (the flood waters were very high and they covered overhead wires), and the electric shock that he received killed this boy instantly. I do not know how many times this same scene is repeated in such tragic circumstances but it is a lesson that needs to be learned. Do we really need to be reminded that electricity and water are a deadly mix?

Posted by at October 31, 2005 9:12 PM



Articles Related to Faith: