« From the Greta Van Susteran Show: Image and audio of Terri with her father | Main | Terri Schiavo Dead at 41 »

March 31, 2005

TERRI SCHIAVO HAS JUST DIED (Updated)

Terri Sciavo has just died, per message from family to BlogsforTerri, Hyscience, and ProLifeBlogs. This is a very dark day for America. We all need to hang our heads in shame. An innocent disabled woman was exectuted by an immoral and corrupt swamp judge in euthanasia-supporting, Pinellas County, Florida.

Update: Michael Schiavo threw the Schindlers out of Terri's room! - trusted source(edited rest of message). I am also biting my tongue to keep from saying what I really feel.

Update 2:  Michael Schiavo denied Terri's mother, father, sister and brother the right to be with her. He would not permit them into hospice even though it was her parents who brought her into this world. George Felos was seen going into her room with a large black bag and Michael Schiavo denied access to Bobby at 1AM this morning.  - Cheryl Ford, R.N.

May God Rest her Soul.

Posted by Hyscience at March 31, 2005 10:02 AM

God has called home one of His most precious servants, leaving the rest of us to make sure that she did not die in vain.

Please know, at this most difficult time, our prayers are with the Schindler family and all of the courageous folks who tried to end this travesty of justice. May the Lord give them peace and shower them with His Grace.

Posted by: Robert W. Smith, MD at March 31, 2005 10:10 AM

I hope Michael, Felos, Greer and Jeb pay for this womans murder dearly.

Posted by: Marine Momma at March 31, 2005 10:15 AM

Im happy to see that Terri has finally gotten to go home to her Heavenly Father.

Posted by: George Lake at March 31, 2005 10:17 AM

Jeb had nothing to do with this. He did all he could.
I'm positively ill.

Posted by: Jen at March 31, 2005 10:19 AM

The fact that Terri's blood relatives were prohibted by police from being with their daughter during her last hours is further proof that Terri's desires were never at the heart of the matter. This entire fiasco was so barbaric and heart wrenching to watch! And yet we say that we are better than those countries we have "HAD" to save from others. Who stepped up and saved Terri? Who ensured that her wishes were followed? Who knows that she even said those things? Only her husband and his family. Without something in writing from Terri, this should not have been allowed.

I wonder if her blood relatives will be allowed to attend the funeral!

I pray that Terri is at peace, and that her family can heal from this.

Posted by: Beth at March 31, 2005 10:21 AM

We love you Terri and will never forget your courageous life. May the angels and our Blessed Mother Mary lead you into the arms of your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Pray for us Terri that we can make it to Heaven with you!

Posted by: Anne Orlando at March 31, 2005 10:25 AM

Terri is with God now. What a fighter! I'm just sick with grief that she had to suffer in this manner. I want to see those responsible pay for this on the earth and in their after-life.

Posted by: LD Garrison at March 31, 2005 10:28 AM

Sending Heartfelt sympathies to her "loving" family- forgiveness to the others.

Posted by: Anne at March 31, 2005 10:31 AM

I can't believe I am living in America. America what have you done. Terri is with the Lord now, my heart breaks for her family. After 9-11 and now Terri's murder, the America I was born to no longer exists. My prayers are with her family.

Posted by: Ann Galvez at March 31, 2005 10:32 AM

Most of america fought for her, do not blame it on your country. Blame it on the corrupt and moral-less judges that we have no part in electing. Blame it on the system if you have to. It is a sad day when something like this happens, but an even sadder day when we blame our country instead of trying to change the things that caused it.

Posted by: J at March 31, 2005 10:38 AM

Micheal you are a cruel, injust person, you are a MURDER and you just got away with it, but not only are you a MURDER you are Satan himself! You wont let the family have their daughter to bury her, you wouldnt let the family in there before she died! You are sorry! You are TRASH! You are wasting my oxygen! You are a MURDER! Do us all a favor and fall off the face of the EARTH!

Posted by: Lana at March 31, 2005 10:41 AM

Jen, I do blame Jeb. I have yet to see one politician not create a loophole when one is needed. I think he could have done more.

Posted by: Marine Momma at March 31, 2005 10:44 AM

J is right, we need ot hold this lifetime appointed "god-like" judges accountable. Its time the Congress take the power back from the Judical branch of our government. See Laura Ingraham's website to get more information on how to let our reps know what you think!

Posted by: Sarah at March 31, 2005 10:45 AM

Sarah, she may be, but right now I'm angry and I myself will always blame Jeb, I will always believe that he could have done more.

Posted by: Marine Momma at March 31, 2005 10:48 AM

Michael Schiavo remained a despicable human being up to the very end... God Bless You Terri! Sorry the law is such an ass! I am sorry you and your family have been treated so vile!!!

Posted by: Zsa zsa at March 31, 2005 10:51 AM

Please do not let Terri's death be in vain; contact authorities and demand a thorough investigation and look into abuse charges.
Terri is now free from her snake- sniveling- poor - excuse of a human being husband! Let him and his lawyer take their scientology death culture to their own graves.
Stop Judge Greer from ever being in a position to allow murder by judge again.

Posted by: Lee at March 31, 2005 10:52 AM

May God be with Terri's faithful and devoted family. My faith in my own country has been shattered by this and my heart has been completely broken for this family. God bless.

Posted by: Sheryl at March 31, 2005 11:36 AM

First 9/11, then Janet Jackson's breast exposure during the Superbowl half-time show, now Terri's murder. What is this country coming to?

Posted by: The Liberal Avenger at March 31, 2005 11:36 AM

I believe this is worse than 9/11.

Posted by: Marine Momma at March 31, 2005 11:38 AM

k you are ignorant. "go back to you lives"? You have no brain and have no heart. let us make sure that they fry that fucker michael shiavo. bush, greer, felos and mike schiavo are all murderers.

jeb had everything to do with this. He had the power to stop this so did his bro dubya. anybody thinks otherwise is on dope.

listen people stop lying to yourselves. your heart knows the truth.

never forget terry

Posted by: Mr X at March 31, 2005 11:43 AM

I cannot believe that our nation at the highest levels have sat and let this overzealous joke of a judge end Terri's life! He should be unseated and disbarred for his bias.

We will all face God one day and we will be asked and I wouldn't stand in Greer, Felos, or Michael Schiavo's shoes for anything right now!

Terri is finally free of that monster!

God bless the Schindlers. I have never seen parents anywhere show more love and commitment than they did to her! What a beautiful example to all of us! God be with you!

Posted by: G. Preston at March 31, 2005 11:58 AM

This must be a victorious day for Michael Schiavo...now he's free to do whatever he wishes. Long ago he started a new life for himself, which did not include Terri. Terri should have been first and foremost in his life, yet she was a burden to him. He didn't care who he hurt because his attentions were focused on his needs only. Until death do us part doesn't give someone the right to speed up that process. Anyone can die from lack of food and water, this was not "life support". She was conscious, and not relying on machines to keep her body alive in an unconscious state. No one can live without food and water for very long....so this was essentially assisted murder. It's really no different than placing a pillow over her face and cutting off her air supply...because oxygen is requirement for life as well. Michael Schiavo killed Terri Schindler, and he was allowed to do so by the judicial system of the U.S. It's murder. I hope he lives long enough to have his own children to turn their backs on him, and to find himself completely cut off from his family and friends and society as well. He has to live with himself and the things he has done, and not letting her family be present while she died only shows what kind of person he is. I doubt very seriously he will show any signs of emotion over the next few days, and if he does, it will only be for show.

The only good anyone can hope to gain from this is to make their wishes known in writing. Living wills can be rather vague, so I would read it carefully before signing. I would also make sure there were several copies made....and that all doctors, lawyers, and family members had one. Entrusting one person with your life isn't enough.

One thought keeps crossing my mind regarding the care of Terri. Who gained the most from her death? Michael for one, after all he's been paid off which we all know, and he's certainly gotten his claim to fame out of the deal, but I dont think he was footing the bill for her care. Then I look at insurance companies and government agencies. It was certainly a cost effective move to kill her.
So, I think we need to take a very serious look at who was on the take here. They are just as guilty as Michael.

Posted by: Judy at March 31, 2005 12:15 PM

All I have got to say is the following,

The husband used the arguement that supposedly what she had said in a healthy state is that she wouldn’t want to live in a vegetative state if indeed she ever had that unfortunate fate.

Well, I think what we(the ones who used that argument to let her die) are all missing here is the fact that ego and pride will lead us to this type of thinking, but when we are truly humbled from an unfortunate accident, we realize how important life really is and tend to rething it. These are the gifted. I believe she ompletely changed that atitude after the unfortunate event. Pride, and ego was most likely no longer a thought on her mind. Have you seen her smiles as to how happy she was to see her family members visit her? Do we really know that she still wanted to die?

Personally I believe she had alot of intelligence behind that mind that wouldnt allow control of vocal chords. She obviously was trying to talk. The 2 words that she muttered in my opinion were “I Want” and Most of us can bet that it wasnt “I want to die". I have a good feeling that she was aware of alot of things that were going on in her surrounding, if not most all. Not only this, but I have a good feeling that even though she may have been bored out of her mind, that she was striving to stay happy and lovingly communicate with her family.

Somebody said it right, I believe it was on 20/20, Dateline, or one of the shows, that the husband should just divorce her and get it over with. I am ashamed at not just her husband, but society as a whole. They disregard life as a gift and let it go so easily. Im am thouroughly ashamed! I didn’t do one bit of protesting myself, so I wont be hippocritical when I state that the public did go overboard with politics, and enough so to adversely affect the family. I just let it ride out. But let it be known that I am expressing my opinion here and now.

Still not sure what I am talking about? Have you ever heard of those operations where a person was in a catatonic state, frozen with eyes open, but experienced everything that was going on and was terrified because they couldn’t communicate with the doctors or the family? Its like living dead, a curse on the living. Well Mrs. Schiavo was communicating, it was a whole different story. Was anybody listening? The husband wouldn’t admit it or allow it, he wouldn’t allow outside help at this point. He was supposedly doing her a favour. What a gimp. If he wanted to do her a favour, divorce her, and let her live out her will with the care of her loved ones and professional help.

Please be aware fellow citizens that the mind is an extraordinary thing, it can repair itfself, and beyond appearance, it does have extraordinary senses, and other forms of communication. Just because we couldn’t understand her attempted english, did we even attempt to interperit her moods(apparently happy at times), expressions(smiles on her face), recognition of family members(love and reaching out)? There is alot more that I dont need to mention, I think most of us gets the point.

EGO VS. Life.

She made an egotistical decicion based on pride in my opinion, and that eventually costed her her life, only by an un-understanding husband, murder by the hand of her own mariage through god(in sickness and in health). I think her husband is the sinner, and was truly the one that was born short a few brain cells.

The law needs help too, lets get God back in the law! There was nothing the law could do about it.

Bush is the man!

Wolf.

Posted by: Wolf at March 31, 2005 1:06 PM

Dear Cheryl, Update 2... What was in the black bag that was brought into Terri's room by Michael and Felos? This is a sad day for the world, and most of all Terri, an innocent woman who did nothing wrong but was sentenced to a cruel barbaric death. I cannot understand how in the USA, a husband and a judge are allowed to play God and decide on hear say, that Terri must die. This has been murder. God bless Terri's sweet soul and the Schindler family. So very sad....

Posted by: Jane at March 31, 2005 1:15 PM

Posted by: Jane at March 31, 2005 1:15 PM

If anybody believes Michael Schiavo was a man who only wanted to "make good" on a "promise" to his wife, I gotta a bridge I'd like to sell you.

The man was never credible from the minute Terri ended up in the hospital all those years ago.

That's why I detest him, just as I detest O.J. Simpson.

The scumbag should have never been in the room those final moments. The parents should have been in there and Michael out the door.

Posted by: Susan Nunes at March 31, 2005 2:07 PM

Gwen-Be very, very careful with your seperation of church and state argument-that will not fly. The first amendment was created to protect us from religious persecution-Terri certainly was not afforded those protections.

Posted by: Jody Wilber at March 31, 2005 2:30 PM

It's a shame to see how conservative the U.S. has gotten in the last decade. Compare yourselves to the rest of the free world: countries are becoming more and more progressive and liberal (i.e. gay rights, separation of church and state, healthcare, women's rights, medical research), yet the U.S. is falling backwards to the social dark ages at an alarming pace. The vast majority of the arguments put forth by the demonstrators who were against Terri's wishes to die with dignity were about "god's will". Please. If I may entertain the idea that there even is a god; do you expect your goldfish to worship you, or understand "your will"? Seriously. I don't know wether to be angry at you people, or feel sorry for you. Quoting the bible to justify anything is just as refutable as when Islamic terrorists quote the Koran to justify their actions. How can it escape so may people that the Catholicism is nothing but a very well organised mafia, imposing fear to support itself and ensuring a comfortable lifestyle for it's benefactors? Why don't we hear you bible thumpers ever comment on all the little boys your spiritual leaders have given themselves the moral right to molest over the last millenia or two?

Bottom line: When something like the moral dilema over Terri Schiavo's right to die with dignity happens, don't embarass yourselves...put down the story you call the bible (it's a very pretty tale - don't get me wrong) get some real arguments. Your constant and pathetic praying "god this-god that" have done little but take up valuable airtime that could have been spent conveying worthwhile points.

Posted by: Phil at March 31, 2005 2:39 PM

The City of Disney Book X:
Terri Schiavo -- Bride of 'Compassionate Conservatism'
======================================================

~Augustine of Epcot and his Scribe, Daniel White~

quondam hi cornicines et municipalis harenae
perpetui comites notaeque per oppida buccae
munera nunc edunt et, verso pollice vulgus
quem iubet, occidunt populariter; unde reversi
conducunt foricas, et cur non omnia, cum sint
quales ex humili magna ad fastigia rerum
extollit quotiens voluit Fortuna iocari ?

Quid Romae faciam? mentiri nescio...

(Juvenal, Satire 3, lines
34-41)

Once these men were horn-blowers and perpetual
attendants at
the local theaters, their bulging cheeks known
through the
towns; now they produce their own shows, and, with
popularity,
they kill whomever the crowd requests with
turned-down thumb;
when they've turned away from these diversions they
contract
privies for profit, and why not everything, since
they are the
sort of people whom Fortune raises up from the dirt
to the
world's vast pediments whenever she is in the mood to
jest.

What should I do for Rome? I don't know how to lie...
[1]

DATELINE St. Petersburg, Florida -- Pinellas Park: The
attorney
representing Terri Schiavo's parents acknowledged late
Saturday that
the legal battle to keep Schiavo alive is essentially over
and --
pending a miracle from God -- she will die soon. [2]

As I travel the Sea of Information a vox angelae, an
Angel's voice,
seems to strike the bell of my inner ear, to resound
through the
platinum hull and pulse the digital ports of my craft with
rhythmic
silver light.

VOX ANGELAE: "I" am cortically dead. "I" speak virtually
through
the aperture of the media. "I" am a virtual woman. My body
is the
property of medicine, of my spouse, of my parents, of the
courts, of
the legislatures, of the society of spectacle. I am a
death parade.
I am a life without consciousness, fed by tubes and
fiber-optic
cables, a hybrid of biology and technology, a cyborg whose
consciousness is no longer 'mine' but the noosphere's. I
am an icon
of right-wing dreams of the perfect woman, brain dead and
passive,
perfect bride of the 'compassionate conservative,' no
back-talk from
me, only passive acceptance of nurture offered, a child in
need of
authority, a biological inkblot for masculinist power
fantasies,
morality dreams, projections of war-on-terror networks
committed to
patriotic ecocide in pursuit of salvation, gutting the
poor,
exsanguinating the medically needy, forcing children into
birth to
go hungry, forcing their mothers to become the vessels of
proletarian production, herd animals of empire, good
daughters of
the American plutocratic 'Revolution,' imperial cattle,
mindless,
but loved, after all. I am a daughter of War, of napalm
and bouncing
explosives, the little balls of fire and shrapnel that
turn children
to hamburger and their mothers to broken dolls leaking
blood for
tears on their progeny, like Michelangelo's Mary mourning
the Jesus
of the Poor, dead like me, Woman Vessel of Power Dreams,
Bride of
Messianic Torturers whose Prayers yield Shock and Awe,
twisting the
guts of the poor for oil and the wombs of their wives for
children,
Devotees offering the Sacrament of Others' Blood on the
Altar of
Capital, I am the Meat Puppet of Imperial Christendom
whose
post-transubstantiation is not wine for blood but, after
all, blood
for oil, that Texas Black Gold, Miraculous Viscosity of
Capital
Triumphant, I am the 'living' projection of your Morality,
one who
never Talks Back, as I slobber your praises, Father in
Washington,
and celebrate the humanity -- without mind, without
judgment,
without power, without hope -- that YOU represent, icon of
the new
American Millennium, our Hegemon, Technician of
Morality-As-Anti-Life, or, as Sylvia Plath used to say
"Daddy"
Divine Right Ruler of the United Herd, one of whom now
'enters' my
room with handgun drawn, [3] just as Daddy has 'entered'
Iraq, to
'liberate' me, Insensate as I am, in a kind of
trans-substantiation
of my poor flesh into an Emblem of Righteousness, a
Willing
Executioner of Righteousness, Unconscious Protoplasmic
the New New 'Deal' for America, of 'Social Security'
'liberated' of
its funds, 'of Medicaid' patients 'freed' to take care of
themselves
and wander the streets without the encumbrances of home or
even the
burden of food, the truly Faithful Devotees of Mindless
Life with
Rented Body, Children of Capital, my Countrymen, listen to
your own
Voices!

PRESIDENT GEORGE W. BUSH: I love my Daddy. [4]

KEN GOODMAN [Director of Bioethics, University of Miami]:
15 years
ago last month, actually, in February, she [Terri Schiavo]
had a
heart attack as a result of a potassium imbalance caused
by an eating
disorder. That's pretty well established. She was,
unfortunately,
like many people, not able to be resuscitated in time, and
as a
result, suffered hypoxic or anoxic brain injury. Large
portions of
her cerebral cortex were damaged, severely damaged by that
heart
attack. In fact, she's been described as being
neurologically
devastated. Since then she's been taken to various forms
of
rehabilitation. They haven't worked.

VIRTUE: All of this furor stems from an eating disorder?

VOX ANGELAE: In life I tried desperately,
self-destructively, to fit
into the mould cast for me by the media stream of PERFECT
women, but
I couldn't seem to starve myself enough, and now, in
Limbo, I am once
again fit to Procrustus' Bed of Images and edited as the
Spin Doctors
see fit!

REP TRENT FRANKS [Republican, Arizona]: Mr. Speaker, Terri
Schiavo
represents the mortality and helplessness of us all as
human beings.
And whether we realize it or not, we're at this moment
lying down
beside her -- VIRTUE -- "What?" -- listening for that song
of hope.
And if we as a nation subject her to the torture and agony
of
starving and thirsting to death, while her brother, her
mother and
her father are forced to watch, we will scar our own
souls. And we
will be allowing those judges who have lost their way to
drag us all
one more ominous step into a darkness where the light of
human
compassion has gone out, and the predatory survival of the
fittest
prevails over humanity. If the song of hope is to be
silenced, Mr.
Speaker, let it not be tonight. Thank you. [5]

VIRTUE: But isn't 'predatory survival of the fittest' the
keynote of
the President's economic policy?

JOHN POWERS: Thanks to the Christian right, none of our
politicians
dare mention Darwin, except to say he shouldn't be taught
in schools.
("Religion has been around a lot longer than Darwin," our
president
has noted helpfully.) Beyond that, the Winners' agenda is
now far
harsher than it ever was under Nixon, whose social
policies would
strike today's Republicans as downright socialist. The
Bush
administration has given the rich hundreds of billions in
tax
"relief," while excluding millions of less favored
Americans
(including U.S. troops) from other forms of tax relief.
Even as it
gave $80,000 write-offs to businessmen who buy Humvees, it
sought to
change the Fair Labor Standards Act in a way that would
cost
countless hourly workers their overtime. Just redefine
their work as
administrative and the extra hours are free. Underlying
such behavior
is the President's embrace of a philosophy (or, more
accurately, an
outlook) I call Populist Social Darwinism. Bush boasts
about
returning power to ordinary people -- "We want to give
you back
your money" -- then pursues policies that produce a
class of highly
visible Winners while unraveling the social safety net.
Anytime you
so much as mention this, you're accused of waging class
warfare. [6]

KEN GOODMAN: Terri Schiavo is not in a minimally conscious
state...
I think that the people who have done the diagnosis, who
have done
the CT scans, who have done the EEGs are unambiguous in
their
diagnosis. The fact of the matter is research on people
who are in a
PVS shows they never, ever recover the way the Congressman
suggested
Terri Schiavo might. It's a tragedy, and it's a tragedy
that
unfortunately is being exploited for purposes that I'm
troubled by
deeply. [7]

GEORGE W. BUSH: "Democrats and Republicans in Congress
came together
last night to give Terri Schiavo's parents another
opportunity to
save their daughter's life.... This is a complex case with
serious
issues, but in extraordinary circumstances like this, it
is wise to
always err on the side of life." [8]

Virtue: But I thought, given your Presidency of
Inspiration, you
didn't make...

CHARLES GIBSON: President Bush, during the last four
years, you have
made thousands of decisions that have affected millions of
lives.
Please give three instances in which you came to realize
you had made
a wrong decision, and what you did to correct it. Thank
you.

BUSH: I have made a lot of decisions, and some of them
little, like
appointments to boards you never heard of, and some of
them big.

And in a war, there's a lot of -- there's a lot of
tactical decisions
that historians will look back and say: He shouldn't have
done that.
He shouldn't have made that decision. And I'll take
responsibility
for them. I'm human.

VIRTUE: I didn't know!

BUSH: But on the big questions, about whether or not we
should have
gone into Afghanistan, the big question about whether we
should have
removed somebody in Iraq, I'll stand by those decisions,
because I
think they're right. [9]

TRENT FRANKS: 'There were some pictures [of Abu Ghraib]
where it
looked like a prisoner was sodomizing himself' with an
object...
blood was visible in the photograph. [10]

HEATHER WAKUSH: Abu Ghraib has left administration
officials falling
over themselves with protestations of compassion, but it's
worth
remembering that the Bush White House has fought hard
against the
International Convention Against Torture. [11]

JANE MAYER: On January 27th, President Bush, in an
interview with
the ~Times~, assured the world that "torture is never
acceptable,
nor do we hand over people to countries that do torture."
Maher
Arar, a Canadian engineer who was born in Syria, was
surprised to
learn of Bush's statement. Two and a half years ago,
American
officials, suspecting Arar of being a terrorist,
apprehended him in
New York and sent him back to Syria, where he endured
months of
brutal interrogation, including torture. When Arar
described his
experience in a phone interview recently, he invoked an
Arabic
expression. The pain was so unbearable, he said, that "you
forget
the milk that you have been fed from the breast of your
mother."
[12]

VIRTUE: I wonder if Jesus forgot his mother's milk when he
was
tortured? I wonder if they use crosses in those SECRET
torture camps
BEYOND Abu-Ghraib?

SYLVIA POGGIOLI: Milan authorities [are] investigat [ing]
whether CIA
agents broke Italian law in an act of "extraordinary
rendition." The
term refers to U.S. agents abducting suspected terrorists
abroad and
transporting them to third countries, sometimes to be
tortured. The
case centers on the alleged abduction of an Egyptian-born
man near
his home in Italy. [13]

JANE MAYER: President Bush, Secretary of State Condoleezza
Rice, and
Attorney General Alberto Gonzales all made similar
statements last
month, asserting that not only does the United States
condemn
torture, it also does not send U.S.-held suspects to other
countries
for torture. In reality, the record appears to be quite
different.
Beginning around 1995, the Central Intelligence Agency
inaugurated a
form of extradition sometimes referred to as
"extraordinary
rendition," in which captured foreign terrorism suspects
have been
transported by the U.S. to third countries for
interrogation and
prosecution. [14]

VIRTUE: Is that how the President defines 'compassion'?

DOUGLAS KELLNER [with intensity]: Critics claim that the
"defining
trait" of the Bush administration and major force in
determining its
hardright policies is "corporate payback." Abrogation of
the Kyoto
Treaty and the Bush energy policy was payback for the more
than $50
million contributed by the oil and energy industries. The
former
Director of the Star Wars program under Reagan, Dr. Robert
W. Bowman
makes a similar argument in terms of Bush's military
policy. Star
Wars II, Bowman argues, will "line the pockets of weapons
manufacturers for decades" at the expense of "optional"
programs like
health, education, the environment and welfare. Moreover,
it provides
"the multinational corporations and banks absolute
military
superiority for their 'gunboat diplomacy around the
world.'" [15]

AMY GOODMAN: Bush's [federal budget] plan would slash aid
to cities
by one-third, eliminate health insurance for thousands of
low-income
families, reduce veterans' medical benefits, cut funding
for city
cops and county sheriffs, wipe out child care subsidies
for 300,000
families, trim funding for clean water and soil
conservation and
shutter dozens of programs for preschool children and
at-risk youth.
The budget also targets public housing, Medicaid and
farmers. [16]

VIRTUE: At least we have full jails!

HEATHER WAKUSH: Conditions inside Texan prisons during
Bush's reign
were so notorious that federal Judge William Wayne Justice
wrote,
"Many inmates credibly testified to the existence of
violence, rape
and extortion in the prison system and about their own
suffering from
such abysmal conditions."

VOX ANGELAE: With a Savior like that...

MIKE ALLEN and MANUELl ROIG-FRANZIA [shuffling through
documents]:
An unsigned one-page memo, distributed to Republican
senators, said
the debate over Schiavo would appeal to the party's base,
or core,
supporters. The memo singled out Sen. Bill Nelson
(D-Fla.), who is
up for re-election next year and is potentially vulnerable
in a
state President Bush won last year: "This is an important
moral
issue and the pro-life base will be excited that the
Senate is
debating this important issue," said the memo, which was
reported by
ABC News and later given to ~The Washington Post~. "This
is a great
political issue, because Senator Nelson of Florida has
already
refused to become a co-sponsor and this is a tough issue
for
Democrats." [17]

CHRISTIAN PROTESTER [jeering at police arresting an
activist
attempting to 'save' Schiavo]: "Shame on you police. Shame
on you,
Pontius Pilate." [18]

VIRTUE: If the Nation were a play, and President Bush
played Tiberius
Caesar, would that make Donald Rumsfeld Pontius Pilate,
and, let's
see, Jesus the leader of some 'terrorist' cult hell bent,
so to
speak, on thwarting the Empire?

HEATHER WAKUSH: Funding of mental health programs during
Bush's
reign was so poor that Texan prisons had a sizeable number
of
mentally-impaired inmates; defying international human
rights
standards, these inmates ended up on death row. A prisoner
named
Emile Duhamel, for example, with severe psychological
disabilities
and an IQ of 56, died in his Texan death-row jail cell in
July 1998.
Authorities blamed "natural causes" but a lack of air
conditioning in
cells that topped 100 degrees Fahrenheit in a summer heat
wave may
have killed Duhamel instead.

VOX ANGELAE: Do Cyborgs have IQ's? Maybe even souls?

KILGORE TROUT: Did you watch the State of the Union
address?

KURT VONNEGUT: Yes, and it certainly helped to remember
what the late
British philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell
called this
planet.

TROUT: Which was?

VONNEGUT: "The lunatic asylum of the Universe." He said
the inmates
had taken over and were trashing the joint. And he wasn't
talking
about the germs or the elephants. He meant we the people.
[19]

AMY GOODMAN: In addition Bush is proposing to cut the
budget of the
Environmental Protection Agency by $450 million; to cut
$100 million
from a Bureau of Indian Affairs program that helps build
schools and
to cut $200 million for home-heating aid for the poor.
[20]

GREGORY BATESON: When you narrow down your epistemology
and act on
the premise "What interests me is me, or my organization,
or my
species," you chop off consideration of other loops [of
the
ecosystem]. You decide that you want to get rid of the
by-products
of human life and that Lake Erie will be a good place to
put them.
You forget that the eco-mental system called Lake Erie is
part of
your eco-mental system -- and that if Lake Erie is driven
insane,
its insanity is incorporated into the larger system of
your thought
and experience. [21]

AMY GOODMAN: But Bush isn't cutting back on all federal
programs. The
budget calls for a $19 billion increase in Pentagon
spending. [22]

GEORGE W. BUSH: Stepping off Airforce One, recalling his
'moral
vision' for the USA: Because a society is judged by how
it treats
the weak and vulnerable, we must build a culture of life.

KELLNER [petting a media-sleuthing cybernetic
Baskervillean hound]:
In 1983, the Defense Advance Research Projects Agency
(DARPA,
responsible for development of the Internet, published a
document
outlining a "Strategic Computing Program".... The SCP was
a five
year, $600,000,000 plan to produce a new generation of
military
applications for computers. The proposal included a
thousand-fold
increase in computing power and an emphasis on artificial
intelligence. It envisioned "completely autonomous land,
sea and air
vehicles capable of complex, far-ranging reconnaissance
and attack
missions." These vehicles would have human abilities, such
as sight,
speech, understanding natural language, and automated
reasoning. The
SCP promoted the view that the human element in many
critical
decision-making instances could be largely or totally
taken over by
machines. ... In this momentous process, just as humans
are
becoming like machines, machines are ever-more taking on
human
qualities. [23]

VOX ANGELAE: So I am valuable as a cyborg, but only if I
fit into
the 'culture of life'? I feel just like Mel Gibson's
cinematic Jesus!

VIRTUE: Maybe you serve to show that the megatechnical
apparatus of
planetary biocide is not only profitable but also the Tree
of Life
bearing its fruit?

VOX ANGELAE: I thought we weren't supposed to eat fruit.

MissAnneThrope: While the entire nation seems to be
up-in-arms over
Terry Schiavo's unfortunate story, what about Houston's
own Spiro
Nikolouzos? Locked in a life or death battle of their own,
Nikolouzos' family doesn't have the publicity afforded
political
footballs, and a very different Governor Bush worked on
his
case...working to find a way to pull the plug, rather than
reinsert
the tube. On March 9, a judge ruled that the hospital had
the right
to disconnect life support, despite his family's wishes.
Right now,
an emergency injunction is the only thing standing between
them
taking this action. ... A nursing home has agreed to take
Nikolouzos provided his family can show that he will
receive Medicaid
after his Medicare runs out. [24]

VIRTUE: But why would George W. Bush want to "pull the
plug" on
Medicaid for millions of poor people when GOD, speaking
through the
President, says 'err on the side of life'?

VOX ANGELAE: Maybe there is some problem with routing
Divine signals
through the Presidential Neural Network!

DAN FROOMKIN: David Gregory [video link including
inevitable ad] NBC
Nightly News: Bush's surprise return to the White House
is "being
seen as either an attempt to defend innocent life or a
crass act of
political theater...." [25]

KURT VONNEGUT: I only want to say about our president,
our armed
forces' Commander-in-Chief: He believes whatever he says.
He might be
the sincerest person in the whole wide world. He should be
in a
movie. Correction: He is in a movie, a made-for-TV movie,
which is
now our form of government. [26]

GOD [played by a nameless Republican]: My First
Commandment in the
New Contract for (on) America: 'Thou must love Capital
with all thy
heart and all thy mind, and have no other Goods before
it.'

KURT VONNEGUT [before the last US Presidential election]:
We are
killing this planet as a life-support system with the
poisons from
all the thermodynamic whoopee we're making with atomic
energy and
fossil fuels, and everybody knows it, and practically
nobody cares.
This is how crazy we are. I think the planet's immune
system is
trying to get rid of us with AIDS and new strains of flu
and
tuberculosis, and so on, but I think it's too late. I
don't think
even it can keep George W. Bush from getting elected to a
second
term.

KILGORE TROUT: Peace. [27]

HUNTER S. THOMPSON: [Risen from the Dead just to recall
some
electoral advice]: If Nixon were running for president
today, he
would be seen as a "liberal" candidate, and he would
probably win. He
was a crook and a bungler, but what the hell? Nixon was a
barrel of
laughs compared to this gang of thugs from the Halliburton
petroleum
organization who are running the White House today -- and
who will be
running it this time next year, if we (the once-proud,
once-loved and
widely respected "American people") don't rise up like
wounded
warriors and whack those lying petroleum pimps out of the
White House
on November 2nd [2004]. [28]

VIRTUE: But Bush won!

KELLNER: To get away with this banditry, Bush and Cheney
needed a
compliant populace. . . . Many believe the United States
is devolving
into fascism under Bush and Cheney, but it is not the sort
of
"friendly fascism" that Bertram Gross described in 1982,
[29] for
never has a more vicious bunch occupied the higher levels
of
government. Like Hitler and German fascists, the
Bush-Cheney clique
use the Big Lie to promote its policies, promote
aggressive
militarism in the quest for world hegemony, and
relentlessly promote
the economic interests of the corporations and groups that
finance
it.... Expanding significantly since the 1980s, the
Republican
propaganda machine has cultivated a group of ideological
storm
troopers who loudly support Bush-Cheney policies and
attack those who
criticize them. [30]

VIRTUE: Then Terri Schiavo is, to 'Compassionate
Politicians,' a
piece in the media puzzle of the Great Lie? I feel the
temperature
rising in here!

RAY BRADBURY: Let me know when it reaches Fahrenheit 451.

MICHAEL MOORE: Amen! [31]

Coda

VOX ANGELAE: As I drift among the spheres turning like
turbines in
the Sea of Information, haunted by my own images projected
in the
schizogenic mind of Empire, I am reminded of the final
words of
"Scipio's Dream" (Somnium Scipionis), at the close of
Cicero's
Republic: Ego somno solutus sum. May I soon too, like
that
planet-surfing old Roman, finally have been released by
sleep from
poisoned waters of the American Dream. May they at least
put out the
fires! [32]

Notes:
------

[1] Juvenal, Satire 3, lines 35-41, my translation. Latin
and
English versions of Juvenal are available at _The Ancient
History
Sourcebook_,
www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/juv-sat3lateng.html

[2] William Levesque, et al., "Legal Battle Over, Parents
Seek
Miracle" ~St. Petersburg Times~, 27 March 2005.
www.sptimes.com

[3] Like those earlier this week, none of Friday's arrests
resulted
in violence. The protesters told police what they were
going to do,
made a symbolic offering of help and went to jail, charged
with
trespassing.

Authorities were far more concerned about a man who did
not make it
to the hospice.

Thursday night, Pinellas County sheriff's deputies
arrested a 20-
year-old Illinois man on charges of entering a Seminole
gun shop and,
armed with a box cutter, demanded the owner fill a
backpack with
weapons.

"He told me he would take any guns he could and go rescue
Terri
Schiavo," said Randall McKenzie, owner of Randall's
Firearms Inc. "At
that point I knew he was a little bit whacked."

McKenzie said the man, identified as Michael W. Mitchell,
put his
knee into a glass display and removed a .454-caliber
handgun, the
most powerful in the store. McKenzie drew his
semiautomatic and
ordered Mitchell to the floor. (Alex Leary and Tom Zucco,
"Schiavo
Protesters Line up for Arrest," ~St. Petersburg Times~, 26
March
2005, www.sptimes.com)

[4] "Sometimes the president seems to think that
vagueness, non
sequiturs, and tautology are enough to explain away his
political
problems. How long will there be an American presence in
Iraq? 'As
long as necessary but not a day longer.' Did you get where
you are
because of your famous father? 'I love my Dad.' Drugs as a
youth?
'When I was young and reckless, I was young and reckless.'
Is war
with Iraq really a last resort? 'When I say I'm a patient
man, I
mean I'm a patient man.' It is sad to say about our
democracy, but
this nonsense often works." Eric Alterman and Mark Green,
_The Book
on Bush: How George Bush (Mis)leads America_, New York:
Penguin,
2004, introduction; excerpt online,

html?sym=EXC

[5] "The Case of Terri Schiavo," ~Democracy Now~, 22 March
2005.

[6] _Sore Winners (and the Rest of Us) in Bush's America_.
NY:

[8] Associated Press, 21 March, 2005, cited "The Case of
Terri
Schiavo."

[9] Debate Transcript, Second Presidential Debate,
Commission on
Presidential Debates, 8 October 2004,

[10] Associated Press, quotation and paraphrase.

[11] "From Texas to Abu Ghraib: The Bush Legacy of

March 2005. http://www.washingtonpost.com

[18] "Diary of a Vigil," ~St. Petersburg Times~, 27 March
2005,
www.sptimes.com

[19] "State of the Asylum," ~In These Times~, 5 February
2004,

[20] "Bush's New $2.5 Trillion Budget."

[21] "Pathologies of Epistemology," _Steps to an Ecology
of Mind_,
Northvale, NJ: Aronson, 1987, pp. 486-495, p. 492.

[22] "Bush's New $2.5 Trillion Budget."

[23] "The Politics and Costs of Postmodern War,"

[24] "Where's the 'life support' for Spiro Nikolouzos?
Houston
hospital tried to pull plug," ~Daily Kos~, 21 March 2005,

[25] "For Bush, High Drama and Mixed Reviews," ~Washington
Post~, 21
March 2005, http://www.washingtonpost.com . NBC Nightly
News Video
link at MSN.com, 20 March 2005.

[26] "State of the Asylum," loc cit.

[27] "Sate of the Asylum," loc. cit.

[28] "Fear and Loathing, Campaign 2004," ~Rolling Stone~,
20 October
2004,
1099009920793&has-player=true

[29] Bertram Gross, _Friendly Fascism: The New Face of
Power in
America_, Cambridge, MA: South End Press, 1982.

[30] "Election 2004: The War for the White House and Media
Spectacle" (2005), Introduction,

[31] For further comment from Michael Moore, see

[32] For a good English translation of this text see
Cicero,
_Republic & Laws_, Niall Rudd trans., Oxford: Oxford
University
Press, 1998.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The web version of this article contains working
hyperlinks.
see

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel White is Professor of Philosophy and Classics in
the Wilkes
Honors College of Florida Atlantic University
www.honorscollege.edu.
He is author of _Postmodern Ecology_ and coauthor of
_Labyrinths of
the Mind_, both published at Albany: State University of
New York
Press, 1998.

_____________________________________________________________________

* CTHEORY is an international journal of theory,
technology and
* culture. Articles, interviews, and key book reviews
in
* contemporary discourse are published weekly as well
as
* theorisations of major "event-scenes" in the
mediascape.
* (Ithaca/Cornell), Lynn Hershman Leeson (San
Francisco), Stephen
* Pfohl (Boston), Andrew Ross (NYC), David Cook
(Toronto), Ralph
* Melcher (Sante Fe), Shannon Bell (Toronto), Gad
Horowitz
* (Toronto), Andrew Wernick (Peterborough).
* In Memory: Kathy Acker
* Editorial Correspondents: Ken Hollings (UK),
* Maurice Charland (Canada) Steve Gibson
(Canada/Sweden).
* Editorial Assistant: Ted Hiebert
* WWW Design & Technical Advisor: Spencer Saunders
(CTHEORY.NET)
* WWW Engineer Emeritus: Carl Steadman

_____________________________________________________________________

To view CTHEORY online please visit:

To view CTHEORY MULTIMEDIA online please visit:

_____________________________________________________________________

* CTHEORY includes:
* 1. Electronic reviews of key books in contemporary
theory.
* 2. Electronic articles on theory, technology and
culture.
* 3. Event-scenes in politics, culture and the mediascape.
* 4. Interviews with significant theorists, artists, and
writers.
* 5. Multimedia theme issues and projects.
* The Editors would like the thank the University of
Victoria for
* financial and intellectual support of CTheory. In
particular, the
* Editors would like to thank the Dean of Social
Sciences, Dr. C.
* Peter Keller, the Dean of Engineering, Dr. D. Michael
Miller and
* Dr. Jon Muzio, Department of Computer Science.