« CodeBlueBlog: $100,000 Challenge to Terri Schiavo "Neurologist Experts" | Main | Autopsy Cannot Confirm a Clinical Diagnosis »

March 30, 2005

OOPS! Michael Schiavo and Attorney George Felos Caught In Lie: Autopsy Decision Not Made By Michael Schiavo, Official Says (Updated)

Goodness gracious, Houston we do have a problem here.

According to Bill Pellan, director of investigations for the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner's Office, it is not up to Michael Schiavo to decide whether his wife, Terri, should undergo an autopsy after death, "He doesn't have any choice in the matter."

That's odd, but didn't good ole George Felos say that Michael "wanted an autopsy?"

Continue reading ...

Update: Comment from Pam

Question: if Mike Schiavo wants to put to rest any doubts about Terri's condition after she dies, couldn't he do the same thing right now by agreeing to a new MRI or a PET scan?  Why do we have to wait until she is dead to find out for sure?

Posted by Hyscience at March 30, 2005 10:24 AM

Let's leave out the Houston we've got a problem type comments and let's get the rest of this story out to all media outlets immediately!

Posted by: Dr. Anna Nordin at March 30, 2005 11:11 AM

Please be advised that I have left a fictitious name because I lack the courage to let it be known. Further, I also lack the good manners to discuss issues on the basis of "informed commentary" and haven't the time or patience to get my own facts straight before criticizing those of others. Also, since I have never met the Schindlers and am not in day-to-day contact with them as is the author of Hyscience and BlogsforTerri is, I am just spouting mindless babble. I realize that the administrator of Hyscience could have simply deleted my useless and thoughtless comments, but he chose to leave them here so that others may see how mindless people with no moral compass or compassion respond to the suffering of others.

Here are my original comments:

Because by law. I think you know what I mean... Let us get the facts straight shall we?

Death With Dignity.. Not selfish families such as the Schindlers.

Sigh, that's all I could think to say. Love to all - Jane Doe

Posted by: Jane Doe at March 30, 2005 11:27 AM

Have you ever noticed how the cowardly snipers, such as "Jane Doe" above, leave their venomous little jabs anonymously and take off running?

Not a shred of evidence to back up her argument, not one bit of reasoned discourse. They just hurl their insults from a hidden position and then slither away.

Absolutely disgusting. And people actually have the gall to complain to me that I don't have comments enabled on MY blog.

Posted by: Frank Villon at March 30, 2005 1:22 PM

(I posted this comment at The Narrow)

The natural reading of the statute that governs autopsies suggests that it actually is up to Mr. Schiavo. Mr. Schiavo may be sketchy, but I don't think he's lying in this case.

Here's a link to the statute:

The statute allows the examiner discretion to decide to perform an autopsy under certain circumstances, such as when the death isn't a natural death (ie, it was homicide). Here, though, she died in legal fashion, if you will. The cause is clearly known: she dehydrated pursuant to court order. If the examiner doesn't know the cause of death already, he probably could use an MRI to look for brain activity, too.

What the examiner really wants to know is if anything sketchy (domestic abuse, I suppose) contributed to the heart attack that caused the PVS/coma/whatever you wanna call it.

And that is, to be generous, a very expansive reading of the examiner's powers. If he were a judge, we'd be calling him activist.

Posted by: jpe at March 30, 2005 6:09 PM

JPE,

the medical records indicate that Terri did not have a heart attack. You really should check this out. Even though I do not have medical qualifications I am astounded by the medical fraud in this case.

The discharge report clearly states that Terri did not have a heart attack when she collapsed. What it clearly says is that the emergency room doctors observed that she had a very stiff neck. The heart attack was ruled out by the blood tests were taken. The blood gases were normal.

The brain injury was not caused by a lack of oxygen due to a heart attack. This leaves open the question of what really happened to cause Terri to collapse. One possibility for the low potassium level happens to be that she might have had an enteric infection. The discharge records indicates that there was an infection treated with FLAGYL. If that is the case, and depending upon how long she had the infection before she collapsed, it is probable that she did not want to eat properly because she was feeling so ill, with very bad stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting.

It is also probable, based upon testimony given by Michael Schiavo, that Terri's brain was injured when he shook her. This would be the whiplash effect from the shaking. It could explain the lag between Terri arriving at the hospital and then slipping into a coma. It could also explain why the first two CT scans were normal.

Now, the two normal CT scans bring up an interesting question. If Terri had a heart attack as claimed by her husband why was there no damage to the brain indicated in the first two scans. It does not take nearly one month for the damage to the brain to surface after a heart attack.

These are the kind of questions that need urgent answers. Based upon what I have been learning from some of the most expert and professional minds in the USA, there is reason to doubt Michael Schiavo's version of events, especially his claim that his wife would want to be starved and dehydrated to death.

Posted by: Maggie4life at March 31, 2005 12:47 AM

I think that maby frankenstien "MS"should see how painless it is to starve to death.Who does micheal think he is GOD, stating that she can not go outside for air, no family pics, no flowers, I MEAN COME ON!, the poor women is on her death bed WHAT WOULD IT HURT! Dont u think he is taking the gardianship thing a little too far?! It makes me sick to my stomach when i think about it. I have been praying for her everyday, and it doesnt look too good.What really gets me is that HE DOESNT EVEN HAVE EVIDENCE THAT SHE WANTED TO LIVE THIS WAY!Its his word, no shread of evidence, thats really mindboggling to me.My prayers are with Terri and her family and anyone else in their condition.Last but not least.. i have one more thing to say among many others but i would be here all day... I think that micheals new girlfriend better watch out because u never know the same thing might just happen to her, being with him, i hope not but, when money runs out it looks like thats what its about and trying to keep his guiltyness hidden.Im gonna stop now . God Bless U All

Posted by: Veronica at March 31, 2005 2:13 AM

I'm a member of the medical community who almost overwhemingly agree with Michael Shiavo's decision to remove his wife's PET. After much research on Terri's case in a short time - admittedly, just this morning - I am shocked that her life was ever put in jeopardy at all! If the sources I used were even partly correct then this woman is not in a "persistant vegetative state"; she barely fits the comotose criteria, medically speaking.
I am also confused as to whether she suffered a cardial infarction or blows to the head (at the hands of her husband).
At any rate, it is clear to me that her case reached the media too late. The legal decisions that have ultimatly sentenced her to death had already been put into motion.
I am ashamed of being a member of a community that has long seen people as "numbers".

Posted by: S. Dowell at March 31, 2005 10:18 AM

S Dowell,

I began my investigation roughly two months ago. I am not involved in either medicine or law. However, I viewed the details of both sides and discovered immense holes in the Schiavo version of events.

I cannot at this point find the Humana hospital discharge report on the Internet, but when I did read through it, the one thing that stuck in my mind was that Terri was treated with FLAGYL after she arrived at the hospital. Without a doubt I suspect that she had a stomach virus that in fact caused the low potassium level. (I am using the benefit of experience here because I had a stomach complaint on two occasions caused by a parasite that responds to FLAGYL)

The stiff neck is suggestive of an injury, especially an attempt to take her life via strangulation. Her tests at the hospital prove that she did not have a cardiac infarct. There are fractures that turned up on a bone scan in 1991.

Yes, most of us began investigating much too late to help Terri.

This is not an ordinary case of determining that there is no hope of either gaining conciousness or recovery. Michael S. did not allow his wife the opportunity to recover. The question is: why, and what is he hiding?

Posted by: Maggie4life at April 1, 2005 4:04 PM

GOD WILL GET THEM IN THE END AND THEN THEY WILL SUFFER FOR EVER AND EVER!

Posted by: michelle at April 19, 2005 2:28 AM