« Jesse Jackson to Visit Hospice and Meet with Schindlers | Main | Romanian Journalists Taken Hostage in Iraq »

March 29, 2005

Michael Schiavo and the autopsy scam (Updated)

Just a quick post to ask a couple of "off the cuff" questions.

Michael Schiavo and George Felos now say that they want an autopsy to "prove" the extent of Terri's brain injuries. Can anyone please tell me why a rational person wouldn't have found out for sure through PET and MRI scans before they starved and dehydrated her to death?

A post mortem PET scan is useless, and an MRI after she dies will be of minimal value. Are Michael Schiavo, George Felos, and George Greer also directing the details and the extent of the autopsy by the Pinellas County Medical Examiner like they have everything else so far?

Are we hearing that a full blown autopsy by a known and neutral forensic pathologist is going to do bone scans, and extensive evaluation for abuse? Is Governor "weak knees" Bush going to blink again before the powerful George Greer and the culture of death, by failing to step-in and investigate the murder of Terri Schiavo?

Just a couple of things that I'd like to know - but I bet you can think of a few yourselves.

cross posted at BlogsForTerri

Update - Dr AN writes:
Can a cranial autopsy be performed?

There is much confusion with this statement. There is no such thing as a cranial autopsy because an autopsy is to determine the cause of death. What the family is requesting is a neurological diagnosis whereupon the brain is procured and delivered to a Board Certified forensic neuropathologist. A complete detailed report takes about sixteen weeks."

So, in order to determine the condition of the brain, it is not enough that it is examined by a pathologist, it has to go to a board certified forensic neuropathologist.  With all due respect to the Pinellas County medical examiner Dr. Jon Thogmartin, I do not feel  he is qualified to do a neurological exam on a brain.  While is disgusts me to have to think and talk on this subject, it is unfortunately a necessary evil in order to keep on top of the misinformation that Michael Schiavo's attorney George Felos is feeding to the media.

Posted by Hyscience at March 29, 2005 9:24 AM

This has been the saddest week and a half I have seen in all of my adult life.

To allow a disabled women to starve to death when it was never proven she ever asked for this is beyond my comprehension. For her family to sit by her bedside day in and day out and watch this happen, without being allowed to do anything for her, is just something I cant accept. The fact that they love her and want to take care of her has meant nothing.

This is a very sad day for America. Havent we learned anything from our past???????????????

Posted by: Sue Dixey at March 29, 2005 10:02 AM

This has been the saddest week and a half I have seen in all of my adult life.

Posted by: Sue Dixey at March 29, 2005 10:03 AM

There is no doubt that this "autopsy" is only a continuence of the corrupt justice that has occurred so far. Don't hold your breath- there will be some sort of twist with this. Most likely, they will only examine her brain as Michael requsted. I don't think he realizes that her brain function is far from the issue that people are curious about.-they need to look at old injuries to all bones, soft tissue and her neck, and also toxicology tests-all of them-very extensively!!! But just wait and see. With Micheal working for the sheriff,Felos being on the hospice board and supporting everyone financially that sees his side, and judge greer being best friends with the state's attorney, there has to be some sort of twisted reasoning for michael's request. Oh, by the way, let me clear up something- I read somewhere that Felos has mental telepathy and can talk to a person's spirit even if they are supposedly in a "vegetative "state.So, this explains terri's wishes and how they were known.

Posted by: joe jackson o'reilly III at March 29, 2005 10:48 AM

I did want to point out something that I think has gone un-noticed. There is a crime being committed by Michael Schiavo.
According to Florida state statute 798.01 his current living condition a crime. I would hope that if this is found to be true that he is arrested and adjudicated. If I read the statute correctly the woman in question can be arrested for the same crime, forcing the state to take her children (that he fathered) into protective custody and foster care until the matter is settled.

798.01 Living in open adultery.--Whoever lives in an open state of adultery shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. Where either of the parties living in an open state of adultery is married, both parties so living shall be deemed to be guilty of the offense provided for in this section.

History.--s. 1, ch. 1986, 1874; RS 2595; GS 3518; RGS 5406; CGL 7549; s. 772, ch. 71-136.

I realize this may appear to be "sour grapes" because our side didn't prevail, but as Judge Greer so aptly pointed out...... it's the letter of the law and I follow it!

Posted by: miranda at March 29, 2005 10:56 AM

Felos scam alert: An autopsy is done to prove the cause of death; if Terri dies the cause will like be listed as 'death from the effects of starvation and dehydration'. If cerebral exam is desired to determine the state of Terri's brain, it must be performed by a board certified forensic neuropathologist. The office of the Pinnellas medical examiner (Dr. Thogmartin) has agreed to performed the autopsy but his office declines comment as to whether or not Dr. Thogmartin has the qualifications necessary to due a cerebral examination.
Let all the press and media know this.

Posted by: Anna Nordin at March 29, 2005 11:03 AM

Miranda, abstractappeal.com addressed that issue. A quote (I think he's speaking of the same law):

Comment/Question: "I'm not advocating for anything here, but I'm curious on an academic level if there has been any talk locally of prosecuting Michael Schiavo and the woman with whom he cohabits under Florida's 'Living in Open Adultery' statute?"

Response: Serious talk? No. That statute remains codified as Florida law, but I'm not aware of when it was last enforced, and the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in Lawrence v. Texas seems to signal that such laws are unconstitutional. Lawrence held unconstitutional a Texas sodomy law.

Posted by: Jeremy at March 29, 2005 11:36 AM

I just found out the truth behind Michael's decision to have the autopsy performed. This takes the wind right out of his sails. Florida law requires an autopsy in cases where the patient is going to be cremated. I, too, knew that there had to be some reason other than sincerity on Michael Schiavo's part.

Posted by: Annie at March 29, 2005 11:49 AM

Good God. You ask, nay demand for an autopsy, to prove abuse claims that Bob and Mary fabricated, then when he caves in, you create new conspiracies in a vain attempt to further demonize Michael. What are you going to say after a long, detailed, complete forensic examination proves that her bulimia caused her death and nothing else? .... a new conspiracy that the federal government is covering up evidence that Terri is actually from another planet?

Posted by: Longhorn at March 29, 2005 12:07 PM

What a tragedy.

Posted by: Will Franklin at March 29, 2005 12:31 PM

"Terri" Written By Van 3-28-05
  © copyright 2005 "Van"
It's so very hard to understand,
why she's been sentenced to die.
Why do all the judges demand,
that she be put to death, just WHY?

A murderer at least gets a trial,
where hearsay is not evidence,
but Terri starves to death meanwhile,
and has no say in her defense.

The courts are forcing her to die.
What has happened to our nation,
all we can do is just stand by,
as Terri Schiavo dies of starvation,

This is a Government sanctioned killing,
approved by the highest court in the land,
and those responsible; God willing,
will feel the wrath of his mighty hand!

Why does Michael Schiavo want her dead?
Is there anyone who can tell me why?
Just what proof is there that Terri ever said,
to him that she would prefer to die?

This man will go down in history,
as the first man in the USA,
to kill his wife on worldwide TV,
and then just simply walk away,

I guess it just shows the extent,
of what an evil man can accomplish,
with killing his wife, his only intent,
and the judicial system, his accomplice.

I believe he took Terri Schaivo out,
just plain and simple cold blooded murder.
He feared she might talk, I've no doubt;
because he was the one that first hurt her.

Come on people, no video for five years.
What is Michael Schiavo trying to hide,
I mean just what is it this man fears?
How long can the injustice be denied?

And just what can be said about Judge Greer,
a man with blood all over his hands.
The one who hears just what he wants to hear,
with his ear to Michael Schiavo's demands.

This whole thing reeks of conspiracy.
Of course I can't say that's what's going on,
but I can say I know it's clear to see,
that we'll never know once she's dead and gone.

It's as though Greer had something to gain,
by killing Terri through Michael's wishes.
To say he's impartial would be insane.
I'd say he's tyrannical and vicious.

I wish someone would stop this homicide,
and stop Michael from doing her his favor.
God bless the Schindler family, they tried,
but it looks now, like nothing will save her.

Posted by: Van at March 29, 2005 12:34 PM

I truly believe that the law overstepped, ignored, and neglected the Rights of Terri Schiavo no matter if she is in a so called vegetative state or not. I can't imagine that anyone let alone Terri would wish that her parents would be strip searched and hovered over by armed police upon visitation. I think no matter where any of us stand on if it is wrong or right to kill this woman, the fact is is the way the shcindlers have been repeatedly cast out of any decisions on behalf of their daughter. I some of the facts of this case on my comments on this on WILLisms.com I believe whole heartedly the Congress should have acted on behalf of her. Inevitably whether we like it or not this woman has not been diagnosed properly and there are too many questions too ignore this case!!

Posted by: Zsa zsa at March 29, 2005 12:59 PM

Re the comment above that Fla. law requires an autopsy before cremation--not so. A family member of mine recently died there and I believe the state ME has to sign off on the cause of death, but there certainly wasn't an autopsy. FWIW.

Posted by: Lena at March 29, 2005 1:14 PM

First of all I want to admit that I haven't an ounce of human compassion or decency in me. Furthermore, I haven't bothered to learn about the facts regarding Terri, I just like to sound off because I lack any faith or moral compass of my own, and am left with nothing to do but criticize the faith and moral compass of others.

No for my absurd and thoughtless comments:

The wackos are YOU religous 'tards'.
{Typical for the religous "wacko" right to censor others.....what's the matter, do I hit too close to home with my comment?}
Her parents are selfish for wanting to keep her body alive...her mind died long ago.
Please lets give this B.S. a rest and move on. Who really cares if her husband is "this" or "that"?....the issue is Terri and her LACK of brain matter (the same can be said for you guys...and by you, I mean the "wacko" religious right).
"Boo-Hoo...we voted for Bush and he STILL wont help us"
HAHAHAHA...good for you....HAHAHA
All I hear is "god bless this and god bless that"
What a selfish and self-serving thing to say!
How about the other countries?....does god NOT bless them????
Keep it to yourself...PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the extent of my ability to express myself. Thank you folks for putting up with my babble.

Posted by: Ben Dover at March 29, 2005 1:40 PM

Yesterday, George Felos comes out and says that Michael Schiavo was requesting an autopsy. A few seconds later it was reported that it is a State law in Florida that if someone is cremated, an autopsy must be performed. Just another one of Mr. Felos and Mr. Schiavos dirty tricks! The only reason he wants to cremate her anyway is to get another strike in on her parents! What a piece of human garbage!

Posted by: G. Preston at March 29, 2005 2:38 PM

Yesterday, George Felos comes out and says that Michael Schiavo was requesting an autopsy. A few seconds later it was reported that it is a State law in Florida that if someone is cremated, an autopsy must be performed. Just another one of Mr. Felos and Mr. Schiavos dirty tricks! The only reason he wants to cremate her anyway is to get another strike in on her parents! What an evil person!

Posted by: G. Preston at March 29, 2005 2:40 PM

Troll Alert: Someone please remove the offensive comment of Ben Dover.

Besides, he has it very wrong about this group who recognize when there is attempted murder. I do not think the liberal minded people and the people on the left would like being told they are religious nuts.

Posted by: Maggie4life at March 29, 2005 3:08 PM

DO NOT allow the Pinnell county coroner to do the autopsy!! Hire an independent autopsy.

The state and the county coroner WILL claim that the results of the autopsy confirm total vegetative state with NO possibility of rehabilitation.

They will side with Michael Schiavo because they MUST. Think about it...if the county coroner claims that Michael Schaivo was wrong then the county and the state will be LIABLE. They will not allow this to happen I guarantee it!!!

PLEASE GET AN INDEPENDENT AUTOPSY HIRED BY YOU!!!!

God Bless You!!!
Denise

Posted by: Denise Bensusan at March 29, 2005 8:39 PM

Keep an eye on the breaking news. This is staggering and I hope this time the right decision will be made.

Posted by: Maggie4life at March 30, 2005 1:49 AM

Florida!...AAH, the sand... the beaches,the entire state judicial system... MMMmmm..AAaahhh...

PARADISE....Get the feeding tube back in you sick-o's!!!! There are appeals still going on. Is this how it is done on death row in Florida?...

!3th. Day of starvation before the process has even been finished!!!! Interesting.

Posted by: Zsa zsa at March 30, 2005 8:34 AM