« Khatami warns US of 'burning hell' as Iran marks Islamic revolution | Main | Lawyer Convicted of Helping Terrorist Clients »

February 10, 2005

The Video Michael Schiavo Doesn't Want You To See: Terri Schiavo is responsive to stimuli (updated)

Bloggers - Please pass the videos around the Internet, let the world know. Terri's life depends on the blogosphere. We have precious little time left. Look at these and determine for yourself.

Here are video clips showing clearly that JUDICIALLY APPROVED TORTURE victim Terri Schindler Schiavo, held captive by her "husband" Michael Schiavo with full approval and backing of "Judge" George Greer, is NOT in a "permanent vegetative state" as claimed by Michael and his Death-by-Execution attorney:

Terri Responds To Father  (Just Found by Common Sense Runs Wild - rare) - updated
Terri watching a balloon
Terri's alert eyes
Terri responds to cold
Terri responds to her mom
Terri responds to music    (my favorite because she actually laughs)
Terri responds to touch

Does this innocent woman deserve to be starved and dehydrated to death? She has so many broken bones that her husband can't explain and isn't being asked to yet - a gift of the St. Petersburg, Florida Police Department and Judge George Greer. Wwhether you are a reader or a blogger, you can't let this woman be killed.

Read what attorney Barbara Weller had to say about her visit with Terri.

After seeing these video clips of Terri, If you strongly believe that she deserves to live and that killing her by starvation and dehyderation is an inhuman act, contact one or more of the following:

(Contact numbers are being updated - coming directly from Schindler's attorneys. Please check back soon) time now: 8:00 PM - expected sometime tomorow.

Hat tip - Raven1.net

Posted by Hyscience at February 10, 2005 4:59 PM

Comment? Hmmm, on the surface this appeared to be a case of reed on the husband's part, now it seems that he wants to make sure she does not recover. Gee.....would we find out that he tried to kill her? That is what I am starting to think.

Posted by: Elizabeth at February 10, 2005 6:24 PM

I've just seen the Terri Schiavo video you have posted and it brought tears to my eyes thinking that her husband wants to take her off support and let her die.

If this happens, it would be murder plain and simple!

Posted by: Walter at February 10, 2005 6:57 PM

It would appear that, like his counterparts in the radical pro-abortion crowd, Michael Schiavo doesn't want television viewers nationwide to see anything on television which might humanize his wife in any way. This makes it much simpler to suggest that she is in a "vegetative state" and thereby "less deserving" of life. Perhaps Mr. Schiavo has been studying from Joseph Goebbels?

Posted by: Paul at February 10, 2005 7:07 PM

I didn't know about this case, until I came across your web page. This poor woman just needs nursing care, and God-willing that we see her being blessed with a miraclous recovery. I was shocked to discover her husband wants to kill her, and it really hit home as her face looks very similar to my own wife's, Anne. I will keep Terri and her family in my prayers.

Posted by: Tony from Scotland at February 10, 2005 7:50 PM

Lifted from another site, where someone said it better:

Actually, those reactions are all pretty much involuntary impulses. Spend a little time around people in a 'permanent vegetative state', and you'll find that Terri Schiavo's state is probably even worse. Random brain activity and impulse movement does not qualify one for being alive. Aside from the fact that she cannot swallow without the assistance of a machine, Terri's body is in relatively good health, and should be performing mostly as a normal person. Therefore, the connection at the brain is only serving to connect nerves from point "A" to point "B", without the controlling 'circuitry' in the middle. It only takes about 10 seconds to see that this is a body with no functioning wetware.

Posted by: Brad from Alabama at February 10, 2005 9:36 PM

It seems that Brad from Alabama in the above comment knows more than Terri's neurologist and other experts that vehemently disagree with that premise. From our viewpoint here at Hyscience, she is clearly following the balloon, and lighting up when her mother approaches her. What isn't shown is when a priest enters the room, her reaction would absolutely amaze you.

Posted by: Benjamin at February 10, 2005 9:48 PM

Terri Schiavo suffered a significant hypoxic brain injury and is in a PersistenT Vegitative State. Brad from Alabama is quite correct in his assertions regarding responses to stimuli. Visual & auditory signals don't require cortical integrity to stimulate brief orienting reflexes. This means that some patients in PSV may turn the head or dart the eyes toward a noise or moving objects. They do not, however, fixate or consistently follow moving objects with their eyes, show startle response to anything but loud (noxious) stimuli or blink in response to visual threat (the blink response is due to air movements stimulating the cornea).

Sorry guys, you're not giving Terri life, you're prolonging her act of death.

Posted by: Ol Cranky at February 10, 2005 11:29 PM

If visual and auditory signals don't require cortical integrity to stimulate brief orienting reflexes, then how could Terri possibly decide to ignore any sound or motion made by her husband, while consistently responding to her mother? (This was reported by nobel-prize nominee, Dr. William Hammesfahr, neurologist, in a thorough report from his two-day physical examination of Terri Schiavo.)

Sorry Cranky! Try again.

Posted by: Head of 16 at February 11, 2005 1:12 AM

I am outraged Cranky and Brad's statements that Terri's reactions are only reflex. My husband brought up an extremely relevant point to me. My mom passed away last month after a very long battle with cancer. What ultimately brought on her death was that her body was slowly being starved as Mom couldn't eat well, and what she did eat generally did not stay down. MY MOM MADE A CHOICE to go with Hospice care and not endure further treatment that had brought her from 160 pounds down to less than 90 at the time of her death. It was painful to watch her suffer the way she did during her illness. Terri is unable to make this choice and, after seeing the similarities between my mom and Terri, I am certain her husband is committing slow and tortured murder. I am beside myself thinking that this man is getting away with this. He should turn over rights to her parents and get out of her life, both legally and criminally, for good.

Posted by: Merri at February 12, 2005 2:20 AM

Do some research on neurology and you'll learn what is and isn't reflex response. I wasnot making a value judgment, I made statements of clinical/medical fact. Unfortunately, Terri did not have a living will and her husband claims her wishes were not to live like this. As her husband, he is her next of kin and legal guardian and is the one legally empowered to make medical decisions for her.

If you'd spent time in the ICU and/or a Ventilator Rehab unit with patients who had living wills that were ignored by their families (frequenly out of guilt) you might understand that sometimes it's much kinder to let someone die. Keeping someone alive with false hope can be cruel (regardless of the good intentions behind the desire). What you may think is prolonging their life is actually prolonging their act of death.

I certainly hope you all discuss your wishes with your loved ones and put those wishes in writing by getting a living will. I also hope you will all be conscietous enough to honor the living wills of your loved ones even if you personally don't like the constraints they place on intervention.

Posted by: Ol Cranky at February 12, 2005 7:38 PM

i dont think that god wants this person to die. If he did she would be dead!!! Let god do the work and not us. She has a mom and a dad who wants to keep her alive. The husband is being driven by the $$$ he should let go and let mom and dad do the job that he was to do. It is so sad. I could not sit by and let a person die. God is good, but whatever happens i hope the best for the mom and dad. Hold on and don't give up.

Dexter

Posted by: dexter patton at February 22, 2005 8:00 PM

I just wanted to say that I am not one to really care about many political debates. I am not one to really become involved and take a stand, which I know is a disgrace to my country. But for once I must say that I cannot stand by any longer and see what MY COUNTRY has decided to do to this poor woman. I don't know anyone in their right mind who wouldn't watch those videos and not love Terri immediately. I am a 26 year old female, completely healthy. I am sitting here looking at a young woman who is responding, who is laughing!, who is responding to her parents. And I wonder WHY? Why would we do this to her? Why would we starve her? Because she has a spouse who wants her life insurance money... a spouse who is living with another woman and having children with her? I don't care WHAT this man is claiming. This woman is as alive as alive can be. It bothers me enough that our country finds it "acceptable" in some areas to kill a fetus - a human child. And now that isn't enough? Now we are going to start playing God even more and move on to those less fortunate in health than us? I just want someone in this country to explain to me WHY we would even be discussing this? WHY is this an issue? LOOK AT HER!!!!! It makes me sick. Absolutely sick. I know my opinion may not be much, and usually I sit aside and I think, my opinion cannot matter in a country so big. But I want to stand before GOD and declare that what this country is doing is nothing short of a tragedy. Her blood is on the hands of anyone who decides to do ANYTHING to harm her. May God have pity on the person's soul that decides to end the life of a beautiful person such as Terri. Who's next? Where do we stop? Some day you will stand in front of our Lord God and have to explain to Him WHY you chose to kill Terri. Why you decided to take the life of another into your hands. And last time I checked, MURDER was a sin. And to pull a feeding tube on Terri would be nothing short of murder. It amazes me that we can't hang a criminal, we have so many laws to protect prisoners from hurting even though they made others die horrible deaths, yet an innocent woman such as Terri is going to be made to suffer. She is RESPONSIVE! Just LOOK AT HER. My heart grieves over this. My heart goes out to Terri's family and she will be in my prayers. May God have pity on our nation. And may His wrath come seven fold on those that are playing God and killing Terri.

Thank you.

A concerned and appauled citizen at our nation
Deanna Nash
Salem, MO

Posted by: Deanna Nash at February 24, 2005 7:46 PM

A smile is not an involuntary response, it is a solicited response. It shows that this woman has some brain function left. She doen't smile as a reaction to just any noise or sight. She smiles in regard to familiar voices. Would I personally want to live in her condition, no. But, that does not give anyone the right to take her life from her. If she was ventilator dependent, or on a heart/lung bypass machine I would say let this woman die in peace. But, it genuinely appears that this woman has some brain function left, however small it may seem, it is alot to some people, especially family. I am a Paramedic, I believe in quality of life, not quantity. I have encouraged all of my family to take out a living will to avoid issues such as this, but still i believe this woman has as much right to live as you or me.

Posted by: Bobby at February 25, 2005 5:39 PM

I was not very familiar with this case. I decided to research it more when I found out there was video. I can't believe that some one would consider taking this woman's life! If this were my loved one I would not want to take them off a feeding tube. No one knows for sure what she can hear, see and feel. She may very well be conscious of her surroundings and it may just be her motor functions that are incapable of operating normally. They should not let the husband make the decision, what does he have to gain from her dying? So many people have so much to gain from her living, and I think that if she weren't conscious at all it would be another thing. I hope to hear positive information about this case later on and will stay informed. My prayers are with her family and loved ones.

Posted by: Sarah at February 25, 2005 5:55 PM

I too was not that familiar with the whole case so I decided to research it some more on the net. I am glad I did but I am also outraged by the whole story. Why should her husband have the right to decide if Terri leaves this world? Her parents, with the help of God brought her into this world and they should be the ones who ultimately decide her fate since she can not! The proof is in those videos. She CLEARLY responds positively to her parents. If you can't see that, then you have brain damage too. It's not all about what the medical text books call quality of life. Just look at her carefully and you will see it too. She is not on life support or heart lung bypass. She is awake, alert and breathing on her own. So what if she will need the nursing home for the rest of her life. When it is time for her to die her body will begin shuting down on its own. The body is a wonderful amazing thing and when it wants to give up it will and it will be at God's will. Not our families or spouses. Her parents obviously love her and are with her. Let them live the life that God has given them now. This is the way it was meant to be for whatever reason. Anything else is not up to her husband or any other politition and is not what is meant to be!!! LET TERRI LIVE!!!!

Posted by: Isabel Phillips at February 25, 2005 7:27 PM

I just wanted to say one more thing. For anyone who sees these videos. Do you think that Terri would not feel herself starving to death??? THINK AGAIN!

Posted by: Isabel Phillips at February 25, 2005 7:44 PM

As a Baptist Minister and MD I find cases like Terri's disturbing, tragic and devisive. Based on the videos and accounts I have read, Terri appears to be in a permanent vegetative state. Medically, this DOES NOT mean she is incapable of responding to external stimulus. It means that the person that was known as Terri is gone. People in this state are capable of responding to touch, sight, sound, etc.. From a Christian perspective, her soul is already with Our Lord. What remains is her body, an empty shell of what carried her being. Just as God does not want us to violate His Will and Natural Law with abortion and birth control, I would ask that you consider that prolonging the inevitable death of Terri's physical body via heroic measures also violates His Will. If this happened a hundred years ago, she would have passed on, fullfilling His Plan. All that I ask is that everyone truly think this through, pray for the families and give thanks for being in a society where we can agree to disagree. God Bless.

Posted by: Rev. Nathaniel Duke, MD at February 26, 2005 3:05 AM

I have worked in a long term care facility for many years and have witnessed a resident who displays similar behaviors as Terri. He laughs and moans but does not have the ability to control his movements and is fed by a feeding tube. He was married for 6 months prior to his car accident which left him in this state. I am a mother and a wife and I do have a living will in place to avoid
the situation that arose for Terri. His wife has since passed away from brain cancer, his father has died and his mother remains his responsible party. All her life, his wife came to visit him, at the threat of his mother's wrath and basically had no life herself. While I can appreciate "Till death do us part". This is a living death. This resident has been in our facility for over 20 years, having attempted aggressive therapy for several years prior to him coming to us. When I gaze into his eyes, I can't help but wonder, are we just prolonging the inevitable? For the longest time he was a full code as well, meaning that if he suffered cardiac arrest, we were to call 911 and perform CPR. I have read many comments from people who view Terri looking at her mother or responding to music. My response is, as a mother, I could not bear to see my child in such a state. I don't think it is fair to say that her husband wants to starve her to death. While everyone is so quick to point out that she can laugh, what about her pain? Does she grimace when she is turned or is she in pain that no one is aware of? I am Catholic and was always taught that the church's position was that proloning life artificially was discouraged. I also don't feel that Terri is to be euthanized as some people have stated. Before anyone comments on the actions of those involved, I would urge you to think about a life of not being able to move, turn, toilet yourself, eat by mouth, walk, or speak. That is not my definition of living. When conversing with many of my fellow staff members, it is clear that they wish this resident would pass away and receive his reward of eternal life.

Posted by: marybeth at February 26, 2005 5:41 AM

To the alleged Reverend doctor:Terri does not meet the medical criteria for permanent vegetative state.

To those actually know her, visit her and love her she is not "gone". And by what Christian theology is her soul already with Our Lord? None that I have ever studied; nor would I care to. If the Good Reverend cannot see the love in this woman's eyes or hear the joy in her
laughter, I would certainly not trust his interpretation of God's Word, or his message for me from The Lord, and surely not anything to do with God's will.

Since when is feeding someone who is incapable of feeding themselves "heroic measures"? Although I would like to be considered a hero by my children, I hope it is not because I did something as simple and basic and humane as feeding them when they were infants.

Although Terri may (or may not) have "passed on" a hundred years ago, people have cared for invalids for thousands of years of human history. If my memory serves me, Our Lord even advocates the practice (see the sheep from the goats passage in Matthew 25 and many others).
Also, a hundred years ago, what we now view as nuisance diseases killed many and pre-mature birth may as well have been a death sentence. Would the Reverend doctor have us go back so that God's plan might be fulfilled? Let's hope not!

Posted by: John Gardner at February 27, 2005 1:33 PM

I certainly don't believe that Terri should be killed, but what most people seem to forget is that her parents were caring for her at their home at one point after her accident. They gave her back to the hospital system because her care was "too demanding". That has been a long time ago, so how would they bear that burden now?

Posted by: psychmom at February 28, 2005 6:12 PM

The last comments are incorrect. The Schindlers never, ever, sent Terri, away. Quite the contrary.

Michael was the guardian. He made the decisions. He sent her back. Not the family.

At that time, everyone was living under the same roof. The Schindlers took Michael in. They had no power to instruct Terri's care, her residence or anything else. MICHAEL and MICHAEL alone was the one to send her to the facility.

The comments are an example of well meaning and good people with the wrong information passing it on as fact. It is just simply very very incorrect.

Posted by: Richard at February 28, 2005 7:50 PM

This handicapped woman deserves our prayers and support, along with her beleaguered family. The "husband" must have a sick interest in having her done away with, rather than releasing her into her family's loving care. He's obviously let her go in every way exceptlegally. He obviously has an interest in keeping her quiet. I wonder why???

Posted by: Hilda at March 2, 2005 6:25 PM

When searching on the internet for information and updates about Terri Schiavo ......I ran across your “chats” and couldn’t help but respond. I was so thrilled to see a majority of you people out there in favor of LIFE. So many of you have “hit the nail on the head” when you said Terri is alive. For she is breathing on her own - thus she is alive. Even before I reviewed the tapes ..... if a person is breathing on their own ...they are alive. How can another “play God” and say when another person who is innocent of any crime should die? One would have to question that person’s motive to end life .......be certain it would be a selfish one.
When I read a response made about Michael already ruining his integrity by committing adultery with another woman and having two children..... I agree, his motives aren’t for Terri. It’s pure selfishness.
I write this with another perspective,too ......my husband and I adopted three babies from different families, each due to either abuse or neglect, have severe brain damage. They neither walk, crawl, speak, or understand verbal cues. They are incontinent and all three are G-tube fed. They are now ages 10, 8, and 8 years of age. You know what? They are the most delightful children you’d ever want to meet! They smile, communicate with their eyes and with sounds. They are loveable, happy and cheerful. Who is to say.......they shouldn’t live because they don’t function like the rest of us? Who is to say their life doesn’t have purpose?
Some people might say because children/people who don’t function normally - they have no purpose, but I say, seeing and being around children/people like these keep some people from becoming so hard-hearted. What if the world had no people with disabilities?...My opinion, I think we’d have a lot of selfish, mean-spirited, hard-hearted, and uncompassionate people with nothing to give to others.....but only thinking of themselves.
Watching the videos of Terri.......is the exact responses of two of my three children I mentioned above. My question to you that believe Terri should die because of her disability is ...would you do that to a child? Terri’s disability has her in a child-like state? Where do you draw the line? How low would you stoop?

Posted by: Unconditional Love at March 8, 2005 10:13 AM

With the evidence of "Terri" having had broken bones, I am certain that her husband is deathly afraid of being "found out!"Most certainly there is a lot that has not been investigated,and I do not think he has a right to order Terri's feeding tube removed.He just wants to keep it quiet! What I want to know is,Why hasn't this been investigated?

Posted by: Carol Borders at March 19, 2005 11:12 AM

WHAT KIND OF DEMENTED FREAK WOULD DO THIS TO HIS WIFE? HE IS OBVIOUSLY TRYING TO KILL HER BECAUSE HE IF SHE WAKES UP, SHE WILL PROBABLY TELL US THAT WAS HIM WHO PUT HER INTO THE VEGETATIVE STATE.
AND WHY DOESENT BUSH DO SOMETHING? IF I LIVED IN
CALIFORNIA I WOULD LEAD AN ARMED MOB INTO THE
HOSPITAL, AND DEMAND THAT THE FEEDING TUBE BE
RECONNECTED. IF THE LINE ISN'T DRAWN HERE, WHERE
WILL IT END?!?! THIS IS NAZISM! THIS IS EXACTLY
LIKE GEORGE ORWELLS "1984". WE NEED TO ACT....
----BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU----

Posted by: angryperson at March 19, 2005 9:33 PM

Umm, people her cerebral cortex IS GONE..NOTHING THERE BUT FLUID..
Sadly, she is no longer a person, she is a pile of organs and meat. And as for the videos, if you stood at a tree and yelled at it to drop an acorn for 4 hours, and one dropped, would you say you told the tree what to do and it did it?
They took HOURS of footage, and they only let the public see a few minutes. The courts got to see it all, and they all said they she showed nothing more than basic function (ala brainstem).

Posted by: Matt at March 19, 2005 10:44 PM

Death is natural. Death is not some evil force that should be fought at all costs. Terri would most likely have died in 1990 were it not for modern medical technologies. It seems that her parents are trying to keep her alive for entirely selfish reasons. It is the medieval way this country deals with death that is forcing this woman to die by starvation rather than by a more humane method.

Way to go America.

Posted by: Stay Selfish at March 20, 2005 2:57 AM

Michael Schiavo's most recent comment was, "I'm outraged, and I think that every American in this country should also be outraged that this government is trampling all over a personal family matter that has been adjudicated in the courts for seven years," he told CNN. "I think that the Congress has more important things to discuss."

Well, Michael (and I sincerely hope you read this), I think you are the lowest form of humanity there can be. How could you even think of starving your wife to death? And how can you say that you think "Congress has more important things to discuss?" She may not mean anything to you, but, as you can see, she means a whole lot to Congress and many, many people. It should be YOU in Terri's position, rather than her.

Posted by: Barbara at March 20, 2005 5:55 PM

You know what! I've never seen a pile of organs or meat smile or laugh! Even if I stared at it for 24 hours. Just not going to happen.

Posted by: Sherry at March 20, 2005 11:00 PM

"Umm, people her cerebral cortex IS GONE..NOTHING THERE BUT FLUID..
Sadly, she is no longer a person, she is a pile of organs and meat. "

angryperson is 100% correct. this woman is braindead, hell she has lost most of the brain tissue. this case is a farce. to keep this poor woman alive is a travesty. c'mon, she has already died! what was terri once is now gone. Her parents need to realize this, Congress needs to realize this and so does America! I am sickened by this absurd situation, where millions of americans can't get the healthcare they need, while so much attention is paid to one person who is by all intents and purposes, dead.

Posted by: Pat at March 21, 2005 12:43 AM

I used a link to these videos on my own blog: http://guardian.blogdrive.com/archive/224.html -- thanks for posting them.

Posted by: CavalierX at March 21, 2005 8:13 AM

>this woman is braindead

Then a simple battery of tests, which Michael has refused to allow, will prove that. So let's test Terri and find out for sure, okay?

Posted by: CavalierX at March 21, 2005 8:16 AM

She is no more alive than a dying fish suffering involuntary spasms.

Michael Schiavo supported his wife for 3 years before deciding, that this was enough. He is the next of kin- he has a right over her parents. It's all very well saying that her parents can look after her and support her but this guys life is being wasted away on the v.v.v.remote chance that there is a change. He has given the situation a chance and now wants to move on. Does anyone possibly think that a husband would come to this decision lightly?

Posted by: barry at March 21, 2005 12:50 PM

OK, "BARRY", "this guys life is being wasted away".....OH PLEASE- he ALREADY has a common law wife and children.....lets think about this - Looks to me like he has already "moved on" as you say - what if this was your daughter....or do you even have the sperm to re-produce. Lets hope not w/your attitude. Sounds like you and her husband dont have the balls to deal with reality....maybe you should try starving to death - ???

Posted by: jon at March 21, 2005 2:43 PM

My Understanding is these videos were edited from over 4 hours of tape. What you don't see is the complete lack of response for the other 3 hours and 55 minutes.
They were obviously edited with an agenda.
Just something to keep in mind.

Posted by: Chris at March 21, 2005 3:25 PM

so a few moments of response is not enough to believe someone is worth keeping alive? I think everyone needs to picture it being someone they love. AND why would her family "edit with an agenda" to keep their daughter alive?....that is so absurd!

Posted by: bob at March 21, 2005 3:53 PM

I've been in a situation with a family member who was a vegetable for nearly 20 years and have to say, watching those videos, this woman is as distant and vacant as that person was. You want to believe, if you're family, that they might come back, that they could somehow be alive in there, and there are little moments where it seems so. They're few and far between, and it's clear these few moments are what the family released to make their case. Sure, test the woman if it's possible, but make that the last decision -- if the tests come back that there is no real hope, let her go. This is horrifying to watch happen to someone you love when it's a private affair; when it's public, it must be unbearable.

Posted by: Sue at March 21, 2005 4:20 PM

MICHAEL SCHIAVO IS AFRAID SHE WILL ONE DAY TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO HER. I believe that it was Michael Schiavo's abuse that put Terri in this situation, not a freak heart attack from an eating disorder. Now he is SCARED TO DEATH that she will one day be rehabilitated enough to tell what really happened and then his new, happy life will be OVER. Think about it! THAT'S WHAT THIS IS REALLY ABOUT!! Otherwise, there is NO reason to insist that she die, she could live her little existance with no need for him.

Posted by: betsy at March 21, 2005 10:10 PM

Most ppl wouldnt starve and animal to death ,much less a human being.We give ppl in prisons more rights,than innocent ppl.

Posted by: susie at March 21, 2005 11:27 PM

I agree w/Betsy & Susie! Yes, what is the harm in letting her live and letting her parents take care of her if he doesnt have a hidden agenda. If he didnt have something to hide he would be happy to let her parents take care of her and he would hope that she would make it. And that is true - MOST people dont treat their animals this way - why should she be starved to death - this is crazy and I think her parents should file attempted murder charges against him for doing what he is doing.

Posted by: agree at March 22, 2005 11:21 AM

Who knows...with his attitude towards her and this wwhole thing maybe he was one of these controlling people who ragged her about her weight and caused her eating disorder to begin with? Maybe when she collapsed he saw an opportunity and maybe he held a pillow over her face for a bit? Guess nobody will ever know for sure. Sure seems he's awfully adamant that this be done though come hell or high water...seems to me if he's right about her condition thoug...wouldn't the testing MAke his point? Something to think about.

Posted by: Appalled at March 22, 2005 11:23 AM

Why don't most of you look up the term 'braindead'? To be considered braindead there can be NO functioning part of the brain. She obviously has some function and is brain DAMAGED. She is still a person and not a sack of tissue and organs. Most of you do not understand what this family may feel because you probably have not been there and have not dealt with something this tragic.

Posted by: disgusted at March 22, 2005 3:48 PM

you know, i'm not against letting terri live if she wants to...but i know that if i were stuck in this world being kept alive because of a feeding tube and i couldn't do anything with my life any more, i would want to go home to heaven. terri believed in Christ when she was healthy....who's to say she doesn't want to go to heaven and meet Him?

if i had an accident or medical condition happen to me, i would HOPE that my husband would stand by my wishes and let me go. and honestly, knowing my family, i can imagine they'd want to keep me alive. while i see there could be hidden motives with the husband, i don't think that he's completely wrong for standing by her decision to leave this world and not be hooked up to machines. i sincerely hope my husband does that for me. let terri go home.

Posted by: faith at March 22, 2005 7:12 PM

If I were to quit feeding my dog I'd be put in jail for cruelty to animals. Why then isn't it cruel to starve a woman, who is very much alive. If you can't see the live in this woman, something is seriously wrong with you. I have seen all of the videos.She is very much aware of what's taking place around her. She may not be able to respond in every way. She may not understand everything completely, but she is aware. It is obvious. She understands much of what is said.She is even funny. ( she is asked to open her eyes, and she opens them wide as posible, her brow stretches to the limit. Now if she were brain dead, sure no big deal, let her die, but that isn't the case. Mr. AShiavo won a large sum of money intended to take care of his wife for the rest of her life. Instead he is using that money to pay for lawyers to end her life. Once she is out of the picture he can use this money any way he pleases. While she's living he can't.

Since starvation is now claimed to be a peacful way to die... Why not start executing death row inmates via starvation? The starving kids in 3rd world countries... Stop sending food let them just starve. Why not they say Terri will die peacfully. Starvation is supposedly the best way to die. That's a bunch of garbage. She is enduring a long drawn out, miserable death. A dog is treated more humanely than Mrs' Shiavo. A dog is put to sleep quickly, and painlessly. Imagine starving and not being able to speak to request help. This would have impressed Josef Mengele.
Sure disgusted you would want a long, drawn out, agonizing death. Yeah, that's what you'd want. Think about that...
Those starving kids bawling, and crying on TV are NOT bawling, and crying cause it is fun. But terri can't cry, she has no tears. (she's dehydrated)

Posted by: Scott K. at March 22, 2005 10:42 PM

This is interesting...but shallow. If she was being kept alive by 2,000 miles of wiring and 3.5 tons of machines.....needed 45 doctors and a crew of 10 nurses 24-7 and 14 gallons of chemicals everyday, would it be OK to pull the plug? BTW, the videos are bogus, they were created after many, many hours of hoping for the right look to convey the wishes of a couple of very sick parents that cannot let go and let God.

Posted by: DavidB at March 22, 2005 10:54 PM

Just as an aside.....please provide further information on the abuse that was supposed to have been inflicted on her by her husband. I can't seem to find an actual report of it, just unsupported repeating of the "story". We are keeping this honest, are we not?

Posted by: DavidB at March 22, 2005 11:19 PM

Please get your band width under control, hiscience! We've been looking for video clips showing Terri's responsiveness, but now we can't see them!

Anyway, glad I found your Website—

Posted by: au at March 23, 2005 9:26 AM

Michael Schiavo never posted the DNR order for
Terri until a few months AFTER he won his big settlement. By the way, his testimony, at the time, was that he would care for her for "decades and decades". Amazing. Does anyone know how old his children are? Do their ages coinside with the filing for removal of the tube? He wants it all. How can he be her husband and yet have a nice healthy new family. His motives are questionalbe at best. His testimony is worse than that. How is it possible that he didn't even mention her "wishes" until years into the illness. Wake-up, he's evil and heartless and I put him in the same catagory as Scotty Peterson, preying on the defenseless.

Posted by: widow at March 23, 2005 12:51 PM

Why haven't I been able for days to pull up the video, "Terri responds to father". Why wasn't it fixed so we could see it?? This is an important video for everyone to see. Please fix this problem soon. Thank you.

Posted by: Joan at March 25, 2005 11:54 AM

Hi,

I found this blog while surfing hunting for videos to support my argument that Terry IS NOT emotionally dead as so many believe from their limited views according to a lying media (cnn, fox and other "popular sources").
On this page though I found the video links lead to nowhere http://www.hyscience.com/archives/2005/02/the_video_micha.html, can you tell me if I might access these somehow and why these aren't available please?
Thank you very much and appreciate your efforts for Terry.

lovelove

Posted by: Steve Hayslip at March 25, 2005 6:15 PM

You people are crazy. You'd spend millions to fight to keep a feeding tube in a waste, while actual children starve to death in this world. Its not about the sanctity of life really, its about control. If you really believed in the sanctity of life, if you had better priorities, you'd be fighting to end war, end arms proliferation, and such. I think your just sentimental for this woman in her persistent vegetative state because keeping the bar so low in interpreting "life", your near vegative lives might seem less pathetic.
To me this isn't so much about this issue, its about the greater issues that get eclipsed by this. Its like the whole towns populace joining together with the fire dept to dig a crippled dog out of a well, to feel good about themselves. The same day 50 dogs get euthanised quietly out of the spotlight.

Posted by: hypnicjerk at March 25, 2005 8:17 PM

As Terri Schiavo finally sheds her mortal shell and trancends to a greater place, perhaps all of those of you who struggled on her behalf will think about your priorities. As I write this, there is a woman in the Sudan holding on to her young daughter watching her starve to death. This child will die of starvation, not because she had neurological problems and not because of a self inflicted condition and not because a court decided to allow her to die.
This child will die because you, and the rest of your misguided friends on Terri watch, have chosen to let this child starve because it is easier to campaign to save Terri than this child and the thousands just like her.
Even more distressing is the fact that over 13,000 children die of malnutrition every single day. This means that since Terri's feeding tube was removed, sending you into a tizzy, 78,000 children have died of starvation and you haven't given that fact a second thought.
Do you know how many children go to bed at night hungry in the US alone? Do you know how many children go to bed at night praying that someone will come soon and adopt them so they can have a mommy and daddy? Of course you don't. You are too darned busy sending emails and calling people trying to save a woman who's productive life ended 15 years ago.

Why then do you persist? Is it easier to get up in arms about something you can do nothing about and something that is, frankly, none of your business? Or is it that doing something that actually mattered for someone who is crying out for your help, would be just too darned difficult and might interrupt your otherwise ordered life?
Feeding starving children takes time and money. Adopting a parentless child takes a real commitment.
Now that this is almost over, please, I pray you reconsider your priorities and think about putting the same energy you have expended here on making a positive impact in the life of a child or children who so desperately need it.

Posted by: Timothy Miles at March 27, 2005 8:06 AM

To the compassionate on both sides of this issue; I have noticed two very distinct styles of verbiage in this arguement. Most of us on the side of keeping her alive admit that we don't have all the answers. We base our opinion on our beliefs and our beliefs tell us that if we are to err in this case, let us err on the side of life. After all, if we are wrong and God wants this, His child, home with Him; He will take her and no machine of man will stop Him. I have stated before my believe that there is still a person, a soul within Terri's body. There are others much smarter and more eloquent than I that agree, but we may be wrong. If we err let us err in favor of life.

Now to speak to "other side" of this arguement. I too have questions about the evidence in this case. I have heard over and over that Terri's cerebral cortex has been liquidified. Where are the MRI's or the PET scans that could help to bolster this arguement? There are none! None have been taken! Where is the blood test that shows that Terri had the heart attack that supposedly began this condition? There is one, but it was negative, showing that a heart attack is not what stopped Terri's heart. Where is the evidence that she was bulemic and did this to herself (which of course makes her deserving of this fate{this of course being sarcasm})? Other than one blood test and some anecdotal evidence after the fact, I know of none. As I have said I don't know everything. I do know, however that there are x-ray's showing bone fractures inconsistent with a fall. Putting all of this aside though, since both state and federal courts have made them moot points at best, the thing that bothers me most is the hatred and venom in the language of those fighting so hard for Terri's death.

I question the compassion of anyone who can call someone (be it brain damaged or brain dead) a pile of meat and organs. Comparing Teri to the crippled dog down a well or to dog's awaiting death at the pound is also (please excuse the expression) a no brainer. Crippled she may be, but she is no dog. Being the poor religious boob that many of you must think I am there I would be, helping the other simpletons
help that poor crippled dog and even more so helping this poor crippled woman. As for the dogs in the pound at least we kill them straight away. We don't starve them and dehydrate them and then call it compassion.

At this point in time it seems that there is little left to do but pray. Pray for Terri, pray for her family, pray for Michael, for the courts and the judges, and pray for this country. I do not believe that it is too late to save Terri or that this is over, but it seems now that ALL hope is with God. If I have offended in any way I am sorry.

Posted by: john gardner at March 27, 2005 1:35 PM

A fairly good summation what has happened to date in the Schiavo case:

Hopefully this will clear up a few questions regarding motivations, facts etc. As regardeing the outcome of this tragic story, I'm with the neurologists on this one.

Any questions regarding Terri's condition, and what she should be capable of, can be answered by a little reading on the functions of the affected areas of her brain. Wikipedia should have introductory articles on neurology on the site.

Posted by: Rob Hurson at March 29, 2005 9:27 AM

The only thing that these videos show me is a woman in a complete vegetative state. Her quality of life was so poor that keeping her alive was tantamount to torture. Imagine yourself bed-ridden, unable to communicate beyond unintelligble moans, unable to feed yourself, unable to walk or move beyond turning your head slightly, unable to read, unable to interact with anything, unable to go to the bathroom by yourself, for more than 15 years and ask yourself if you feel that's a life worth living. If you think so, feel free to try it sometime. God loves you.

Posted by: Thom at March 31, 2005 3:58 PM

I just finished reading all of these comments. Today Terri has passed on and she is with God now. No more fighting over her. I have not been following this until the past week. It has just upsetted me more and more to see just how screwed up our country and congress really are. I saw the video clips of her and started to cry. I am a mother and NO MAN would ever decide the fate of my daughter!!!
If Terri was to die before now, it would have been on the feeding tube. There's only one person that can call you home, that's our Lord! As for everyone else in favor of withdrawing her feeding tube... you will have to face your Creator come Judgement Day!!!!
You always hear about being cruel to animals. What do you think this is? Plain and simple: MURDER!! Serial killers get better respect than what was shown in this case. They have MEALS and WATER every day. And they get called out of this world when it's their time.
It's just scary to see what this world is coming to. And just to know that it will probably be worse when my child grows up. God Bless every one of us!!!

Posted by: Sylvia at March 31, 2005 4:45 PM

I can not fully comprehend how someone has control over another's life. I could understand if she were hooked up to machines to keep her alive for all those years, but she wasn't. If there were a question about her husbnad having been abusive to her then that should have been investigated. The judge should have ordered ex-rays. Needless to say a lot of things should have been done for her to regain her ability to lead a somewhat normal life but nothing was done for her. This is very discouraging to know that they allowed her to die like that. I looked at the video of her and her mother and her face actually lit up.
They commited murder in my opinion. I don't care what anyone else has to say about it.

Posted by: s at March 31, 2005 5:06 PM

Have you seen her CAT scans, people? SHE HAD NO BRAIN. Not in the metaphorical sense that you who think she was reacting to stimuli do, but actually, really, truly NO BRAIN.

I think you're sincere in your concerns, but you're just flatly wrong. Ignore the tearful histrionics and look at *all* of the evidence, not just carefully selected and edited videos that add up to a few minutes out of 15 years of overwhelming evidence that there was nobody in there.

Posted by: Paul Winston at March 31, 2005 11:24 PM

It is important that on all major social issues we remember to make our decisions rationally, after careful and thorough consideration. I personally suggest the wikipedia(see link in above post). Check all their sources if you have a hard time believing one way or the other.

I also recommend that last episode of South Park. It was called "Super Best Friends."

Posted by: Arthur Grumbine at April 2, 2005 6:44 AM

Christians gave up the 4th commandment long ago and do whatever they wish on God's holy 7th day, so they are more likely to disregard the 6th commandment about not killing.....

So sad.

Posted by: daniel at April 2, 2005 8:55 AM

I watched the videos and came to the conclusion that Terry's family were completely selfish in their desires to keep her alive. How very noble of them to force her to live immoblized save for a few rudimentary movements. You call that life but I call it hell. I myself pray that my family has the fortitude to let me die because I would curse every day of my survival.

Posted by: Karp at April 2, 2005 12:07 PM

I can't believe how ignorant some people are. Terri Schiavo died 15 years ago, and her selfish sado-masochistic parents should let her go with dignity. Her brain cortex died from oxygen depravation that means she can't think, feel, experience, feed herself, etc. If you love someone why would you want to see them like that? It's horrible to see a body with no emotions or thought process, although she can't feel or suffer that is no reason to make it a side show. Her husband is 110% right. I would never want my body kept alive like that.

Posted by: Gary at April 6, 2005 7:16 AM

Well, Terri is gone now. Her husband is finally off the hook with her remains now ashes. No more fear of x-rays or mri's or pet scans. I think back on what became of Julius Caesar when he overstepped the bounds and effectively muzzled HIS legal system and brought it to heel. It just meant that there was only one way to fix things. I hope that some of you people who think starvation is a good thing for our courts to prescribe to cure disability realize that the only judge who heard the facts of this case - Greer - benefited by contributions from Schiavo's attorney, a featured guest speaker at a local "Hemlock" society. It doesn't seem as though life stood a chance in this one. What has happened to our values in America? I, too, feel horrible distress for third world victims of starvation. Why is feeding them more important that feeding Terri? We all were shocked at the distress of helpless orphans in Rumania's "hospitals". Maybe we shouldn't have, by the same token. Maybe we should have said, "Well, they obviously are underdeveloped. Probably won't have much 'quality of life' anyway. Better to starve them. This is sick. Having care and compassion for one unfortunate human being, apparently a victim of abuse, in no way diminishes the care and compassion we feel for other deprived and hungry people. I would be interested to see a poll of the people of Ireland. Caring for the starving of less fortunate countries has long been a priority with the Irish, a natural reaction, perhaps, to one of the world's most hideous famines and an event which shaped not only Ireland's future but most definitely America's. What is their reaction to our inhumane courts? They would be in a more "informed" position than most Western nations.

Posted by: smor at April 6, 2005 5:31 PM

For those who keep saying that Terri "had no brain", please check out the comparison pictures I posted with CT scans of severely brain-damaged but functional people.

These are a much more telling comparison than what you see in the news with her brain being compared to the brain of a healthy woman much younger than Terri.

Terri's brain had between 70 and 90 percent damage to the cerebral cortex. That's far from having "no brain" and even people with as little as 10 percent or less of their cerebral cortex have occasionally been shown to be highly functioning and nearly normal. I've listed several of those studies on my blog.

The truth is that you can't tell how much function or awareness someone has simply by looking at their brain structure.

Also, a little-known fact is that Judge Greer did not rule on the basis of the Florida Law's definition of PVS, which says a person with PVS shows NO cognitive response or purposeful action OF ANY KIND.

Judge Greer specifically said that he was ruling on the definition of PVS given by Cranford and some of the other doctors in the trial, that to NOT have PVS the patient must show consistent, repeatable and constant cognitive response to stimuli.

Judge Greer did not rule that Terri did not respond--in fact, he specifically said that she did occasionally seem to respond. His ruling was based on the fact that her response was not "constant"-- use his own word. If you will read the documents, you'll see that he also acknowledged that she could speak words, but said that this was consistent with a diagnosis of PVS.

According to Flordia Law, Terri would not qualify as PVS because we can't be certain she had "the absence of voluntary action or cognitive behavior of any kind," as the law states.

But Greer ruled on this basis: ""The court saw few actions that could be considered responsive . . . The court finds that based on the credible evidence, cognitive function would manifest itself in a constant response to stimuli."

Big difference.

This is my summary post with links of many of the earlier posts with more information: http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=purple_kangaroo_Angela&tab=weblogs&uid=237598982

purple_kangaroo

Posted by: purple_kangaroo at April 9, 2005 10:56 PM

The Terri Schiavo case is about much more than unplugging a feeding tube,or the president getting involved and I agree we don't want the government in our personal life or in our bed rooms , but this case was not about that either, the bill the government passed was for this case only, for this (one) person only in the whole united states. the bill only suggested to.have her tested AGAIN , they would have done that for criminals on death row. Terri had not had any therapy for medical testing for over 10 yrs , medicine and teleology have come since then, this was not about Republicans or Democrats , but the democrats jump on the band wagon with why didn't they do more and take the national guard in a rescue Terri
What more do you think President Bush and Governor Bush could have done?
did you want then to break the law and go to jail? if they had broken the law and gone to jail , it still would not have removed Terri from that hospice.
Can you think of any other President or Governor that would have stuck their neck out to help only (one) person? surely you don't believe President Clinton ,John Kerry or John Edwards would have done what they tried to do for Terri .
You should be happy we have the two of them on our side,. if had been your child, you would think different about the President and Governor trying to help. it took lot of courage and human compassion knowing no matter if they had chosen not to get involved, they were going to take all the blame .
There was honestly nothing more they could have done for Terri.
the blame belong to Judge Greer and Michael Schiavo they held all the cards

About Terri schiavo does it not seem strange she had 5 or more broken bones, when she had her so called heart attack or stroke. how do you fall or pass out in a hall, on the carpet and break 5 or more bones? broken back, both ankles , both her knees and ribs .
The Schindlers never got to see her medical report. Michael had the records sealed. the information about the broken bones came out in discovery in the malpractice law suit.
how would you like to find that out about your child in court when she could not speak? I guess the hospital did not set the broken bones was because the doctors said she could not feel pain .

A Nobel prize nominee doctor was the only doctor that spent time with her , and his report said she was aware and could improve.
And the three nurses that took care of her for years said she was aware and could swallow ,that she could say mama ,hi,and hurt.
The hospital fired one nurse when she went to the police and told them about finding empty insulin vile in the trash, after Terri went into a hypoglycemia coma and there were three signs of needle shots, one under the breast , under the arm and in her groin,
judge for your self is she is comatose?

Terri lived this way for 7 years, at that time he made sure she got good care , ( I believe all for show ) it was only a few months after he was awarded over a million dollars to be used for her therapy , that he remembered that Terri said she didn't want live on life support and at that time ALL of Terri's comforts was cut off even the TV , he claimed he did wont her to hear something that would up set her ......."wait a minute" I thought he said she was brain dead ,
he gave orders to the nurses she was not to given any antibiotics, even for the high fever she had from a kidney infection, her parents files a motion in court for her to get treatment for her kidney infection, but it was turned down by Judge Greer, he had already order the feeding tube be removed. she was going to did so why treat it . he was the only judge that ever ruled on her case. Terri had no presentation for her court , the judge went by what Michael Schiavo said,
Michael and his attorney Felos (also on the board of the hospice )moved Terri into the hospice and defrauded medical for 5 yrs , Michael didn't have to pay a dime, we did the tax payers,
when his attorney made a public statement on TV that Michael insisted on an autopsy , it sounded like he wanted to prove she was a vegetable and take some of the heat off himself, but the truth is he didn't have a choice ,its the law in FLORIDA also his attorney Felos said Michael was grief stricken and had not left his wife side but had lived at the hospice since the feeding tube was removed , the truth is , he stayed so he could be in control of who went into see Terri and make sure she didn't get water.

I believe the reason Michael Schiavo didn't take the millions offered to him to let Terri live, is he would make a lot more money on a movie, book sale and TV interviews than he would if he had let Terri live, also if he had taken the millions to let Terri live and she did have some speech therapy, (that he denied her) .Terri may have learned to communicate in some way and tell the truth how she got all the broken bones from falling in the hall from a heart attack, and if that happened he would not get to enjoy all those millions, he would be in jail ,.plus the public would hate him even more. he needed to do something to get the public to feel sorry for him as a grieving husband ( although his is living with another woman and they have 2 children ) that he was killing Terri because he was determined to carry out Terri's wishes.
Guess time will tell if this is not about money, I do believe he will write a book and make a movie.
I hope the Schindler's can sue Michael for millions so he can never profit on writing books , movie or TV interviews over killing her.
Since Michael Schiavo did not allow Terri to have a proper Catholic burial and insisted on cremating her , (was cremation also her wishes also Michael ?) or just another way to control and cover up, ,I guess Terri supporters and friends that came to love her will have to got go to:
Michael and Jodi Centonze home on 2807 MARRIE CT CLEARWATER, FL to pay their respect and mourn Terri. I hope the public will never let them live in peace. but remind them daily and never forget that they murdered Terri. I also believe Jodi Centonze was part of this cruel heartless murder. I hope Terri will have the last word after the autopsy.
Terri's gone be with God and the Pope

Taylor Chamberlain
Clearwater Fl

Posted by: Taylor at April 10, 2005 7:08 PM

GOD BLESS EVERYONE THAT AGREED WITH THIS HORRIBLE SO CALLED HUSBAND OF HERS. HE IS A MURDERER AND WHY DID HE CARE SO MUCH ANYWAY NOW AFTER STARTING A FAMILY WITH SOME OTHER WOMEN AND HAVING 2 CHILDREN WITH HER. HE SHOULD OF GAVE UP CUSTODY TO HER PARENTS ALONG TIME AGO WHEN HE QUIT VISITING HER. HE DID NOT HAVE TO HURT HER PARENTS AND FAMILY. IF PEOPLE AND THE COURTS WEREN'T SO IGNORANT, THEY WOULD KNOW SHE WAS NOT BRAIN DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Elizabeth at April 16, 2005 1:48 AM

could you please show me avideo showing an actual abortion please

Posted by: Ronelle at May 13, 2005 3:53 PM

i hope i live to see what happens to michael... i'm sure it won't be good.does'nt he know pay back is h---....

Posted by: leonard at May 26, 2005 11:26 AM

"Terri watches a balloon". "Terri's alert eyes". OOPS!!! Turns out she was blind. I guess pictures CAN lie.

Have any of the claims made by the Schindlers and their supporters turned out to be true? I can't think of any.

Posted by: Jeff at June 15, 2005 8:06 PM

I never seen a blind person watch a moving object before. I've seen it now, she WATCHED that balloon. It's a miracle! She might have gone blind during her 2 week starvation death though. Her brain probably shrunk immensely too.

Posted by: Kat at June 18, 2005 12:30 PM

hey i want to see some videos if you can send me one i would like it alot i dont care if it is bad or good. but i am only 14 years old but i do wantch bad stuff so please send me something to watch on my computer. my mom would like to watch something to on my computer she said thank you if you can send one. wee i got to go bye.
your friend